Chapter TWO

"Now. As you all know, this, selection, of sorts, is broken down into 5 stages. 2 Easy stages, 1 Medium, and 2 Hard. 3 people will be eliminated after each. You have just finished the first Easy stage. After dinner, before dessert tonight, I will announce those leaving, after showing everyone every line of code they typed, and, to make sure they weren't cheating -" at this point, Ms. Grinder glares at George, who seems to shrink in on himself. "We will all check the history of where this code came from, be it copy-pasting, genuine typing, or otherwise. I encourage each and every one of you, to study on rules of computer science in the renowned library of the late Duncan Krastoff." We all gasp at the mention of this famous computer scientist of the First Generation software developers. But he was not only that, but a One. The first.

"How do you have access to his books?" Freddy Smiths asks.

"During the course of the Choosing, I have access to everything!" she answered, with such authority, I think we all shrink back a bit.

"I wish to mention one student in particular, who has shown exceptional promise." I look at her intently, my curiosity now times 10 fold. She gives me a tiny shake of her head, and mouths, Not yet. I sink back into the patchwork chair I'm sitting on, feeling a despair as strong as a southerly gale in Wellington. The other contestants are sitting on similar chairs, some bundled up on various couches, all 31 of us. They sit bolt upright now, as they wait to see who is getting special mention.

"That person is Rubey." Rubey stands up, looking shocked.

"W-w-why me?" she stammers.

"YEAH! WHY HER!" complains a voice in the back. Loudly.

"I chose her, because of the patience she showed when she couldn't get the correct code first time. She shows persistence. Does my choice bother you, Rynwyc?" she directs this last comment directly at Rynwyc, who says:

"Yes, yes, I do. She was put in this competition by complete fluke. She came last in every single code test in school and is always the impatient little, spoilt brat. It's a wonder she even got in the Choosing!" Tears welled up in Rubey's eyes at this statement.

"SEE!" Rynwyc calls. "She can't even handle bullies, the soft-hearted little piece of rubbish." Rubey's eyes lost their tears then, to be replaced by a fiery anger. Her face turns red, an anger blush, as we call it today.

"How dare you insult me!" she says softly, despite her obvious anger. Rynwyc shrinks away, obviously very nervous. "Oh, not used to your subjects of bullying returning the favor?" she sneers. Her face is turning a lighter red, almost the shade of her fiery ginger-copper hair.

"Freak!" Rynwyc shouts. I jump out of my seat at that.

"She's not a freak, she just has a lot of willpower. More than you, I would wager." Rynwyc's face turns bright red at that. He points accusingly at Ms. Grinder.

"Why is Joseph not out of here already?! Rubey as well. They should be eliminated immediately!" he screams.

"Oh no, it's not they who are not going to be here for breakfast tomorrow, and that is you."

At dinner, I notice Rynwyc isn't there. I ask Ms. Grinder about it.

"Ms, I thought people weren't going to leave before dinner?" I ask.

"Mr. Rynwyc Jacobson did not deserve to stay any longer. That sort of bullying is not tolerated one bit here, and it won't in the GreenCode workspace, either. So anyone who bullies anyone at all will be immediately eliminated." she paused, and added: "This next bit, I will share with the whole group." She stood in the front of the dining room.

"Attention! Attention." she raised her voice over the growing noise. The room fell silent. "I have paused you in your eating, to say three things. Firstly: The next stages will all be done in pairs." Rubey and I immediately locked eyes, a silent communication between us confirming we will be pairs. "Secondly: You all know what happened with Rynwyc and Rubey here. If any of you try any stunts like that again, you will no longer be in the competition. Lastly: If I deem fit, two people will end with the contract, not just one." Rubey and I share looks again. The gaze we share confirms the thoughts shooting through my head like electric bolts. We would hang on to each other for as long as we could. We would be each other's life line, or in this case, work line. Allies to the end, we silently agreed.