Chapter 2

I woke up the next morning from the sun shining through the cracks of my wooden window cover. I shuffled out of bed and got dressed leaving my room. It was still early in the morning, but my Mother was making breakfast already since they had to go and meet up with Mrs. and Mr Pedersen. So I quickly said hello to my parents before eating. Dad asked if anything else had happened after he came in to check, and I shook my head no. He let out a sigh of relief probably glad that nothing had happened.

After finishing my morning chores I got to go outside. by now the boys were going off to school, and only a few girls were outside playing together. Mom and Dad were packing their things since they would be gone for the day. I would be off at my friend Alida's house with her parents though, so I still had a place to go and I wouldn't be completely alone during their time gone.

Walking outside the grass crunched under my feet as the morning air blew by. I walked over to the side of the house where I had heard the rustling last night, still paranoid about it. I slowly walked over to the side of the house my heartbeat rising as I did. I got to the side of the house and slowly peaked over the side. I sighed out and my heartbeat returned to normal as I saw nothing there just the same indent on the grass as always. I was happy that there was nothing there, but I was also slightly annoyed at the same time. Grumpily I trudged over to the indent in the grass and sat down as I started playing with and picking the grass.

After a few minutes of just messing around with the grass, I felt a hand on my shoulder. Panicked I spun around surprised only to see a pair of familiar blue eyes. Alida smiled laughing.

"Jeez, what's got you so spooked?" She questioned.

"Nothing... Nothing I just didn't expect you." Standing up I brushed the grass of the skirt of my dress. "So what are we going to do today?" Alida thought for a while before smiling as she began to drag me to follow her.

"Come with me I know exactly what to do,"

"That still doesn't answer my question... but okay,"

Alida continued to drag me until we finally reached her home. "Wait? Why are we at your house?" I asked confused. Laughing she opened the door and answered.

"Don't worry you'll see!" She loosened her grip and now I was able to walk with her as she leads me to her bedroom. Once we made it there she ran over to her dresser and pulled out a smallish wooden box that it seemed she had hidden in the dresser. She then lead us to the nearest table and as we sat down she opened the box revealing papers with writing on it and pictures. I looked at her confused.

"Why do you have those papers when we won't even be able to read them ever?" Alida looked nervously behind her at the windows and doors as she snapped the box closed. Looking back at me she climbed off the chair and beckoned me to follow her.

Back in her room, she hid the box back in her dresser. She quickly closed the door and dragged me away from anywhere near the window in her room. She then leaned closer to me.

"My parents have been teaching me how to read and write," she whispered to me. Looking at her shocked I quickly replied.

"W-wait did you write that on the papers?" I asked pointing to the papers. She shook her head.

"No, but those are the papers I've been practising to write." She was smiling widely as we whispered loudly about what all she was learning. At the time woman getting an education was very scarce and being able to send your child to school was really expensive to send multiple children let alone their daughter, but every once in a while a parent might be able to sneak some learning to their other children.

    Smiling at her I gave her a huge hug out of pure happiness. It was strange to know that your close friend was getting such a great gift, but it still felt amazing to me to know how happy she was about having this chance. She quickly reclosed the box and stuffed it into her drawer and ran out of the house practically dragging me behind her. I huffed as I ran behind her finding it harder to keep up with her.

    When she finally stopped I needed to catch my breath so I walked slower than her. Looking around the lush green forest surrounded us the warm late morning sun shining down on us in splotches through the trees. The uncleared dirt path was covered in overgrowth, fallen nuts and leaves, and overgrown roots from the nearby trees. Walking behind Alida my eyes glanced to the side after hearing a shuffle. Looking back it seemed she hadn't heard it so I shrugged it off as nothing that big.

After a while of walking in mostly silence other than the constant footsteps of Alida and I as well as the birds chirp every once in a while, it became more and eerier. I cough quietly and finally spoke up.

"So where exactly are we heading?"

"Nowhere." I jogged in front of her and look at her confused.

"What do you mean by 'Nowhere'?"

"I mean we're just walking around." Thinking for a bit I nodded and walked beside her. I pulled her to the side and sat down on the grass dragging her down with me. She laughed a bit and laid down next to me. She crawled over and closer to me while fiddling with something in her hand. Looking down at her confused I waited as I watched her. She then grabbed my hand and slipped something onto my wrist. Looking down at it I smiled at her from the makeshift bracelet she made from what she could find.

After Awhile she had fallen asleep laying down on the warm grass. Yawning I laid back looking upwards with half lids. Slowly I felt myself falling asleep as my vision blurred until I heard another rustle like before but much louder this time. Quickly I sat up looking over. I blinked a few times, but I saw the boy again in the bush. I stood up walking over towards him. He moved back without hesitation causing me to stop completely in my tracks.

"Hey wait... I uh want to talk." He stopped and stared at me silently. I was able to now get a good look at him now other than the last time. His dark brown hair was messy and some of it framed around his cheeks. He had bright emerald like eyes and it was strange to think, but his pupils looked almost cat-like. I shifted awkwardly and quickly glanced at a sleeping Alida before turning back. "Oh uh... Hi, I'm Y/n." I held my hand out but he didn't take it. He instead just nodded his head and mumbled out. 

"I'm Holter," before sinking lower into the bush's hiding himself more. I nodded my head. I pushed myself off the cool slick grass my legs wobbling from being numb.

"Why don't you come out?"

"Oh uh... I. Don't like.... the grass." The entire time he darted his eyes from one place to another clearly stumbling to try and find words. I covered my mouth tightly as I started bursting out in laughter, not wanting to wake up my friend.

"Well if you want to talk it's going to be pretty hard if your hiding behind the grass." After saying that Holter scoffed at me.

"Staying back here doesn't mean I'm hiding it just means... I'm staying safe. Okay?" I let out a sigh and rolled my eyes.

"Okay fine, your 'staying safe' i'll take it... but anyway. What did you want to talk about? That's why you came here so just say it." He seemed a bit taken aback by my hostile return but he took it with ease afterwards. He looked at me with a simple blank face before speaking plainly.

"You need to leave."