Chapter 1: Missing

LIGHT
līt/
noun
1. the natural agent that stimulates sight and makes things visible.

DARK
därk/
noun
1. the absence of light. (The absence of sight)
_______________________________

We all knew something was not right. He was all over the news. His face was all over social media. He was everywhere. Every news article described it in as much detail as they could with the limited facts they had. That's the sad part. No one had enough facts to give any explanation. Just like that, he was gone, no trace of him anywhere.

I began to wonder when he hadn't posted anything for a week or two. I checked twitter for an explanation, but like I said it was absent. No notice or update or anything. No more Markiplier. I was horrified.

The word 'missing' made me sick. Who'd ever think it'd be him to disappear from the face of the earth? He was no where to be found.

I drew my attention to the fact that I actually live in L.A. I live so close and he's disappeared right under my nose. Walks came frequently to me. I used to watch his videos whilst walking. I walked everyday and now I'm just left with the horrifying thought of nothing to think about. Nothing to think about except his absence. I've tried forgetting, but how could I? His face was everywhere I looked.

I was at my friends house when I found out. Mark hadn't uploaded in 3 days. I was disappointed, but not so much worried. He had gone a good amount of days without posting before. Like when he went to the hospital that one time or when Daniel passed away. I mean he deserves his days off so we respected that and moved on. After all he's only human.

I was a bit confused as to why he hadn't posted anything on Twitter or Facebook saying why he was gone and when he'd be back, but I shrugged it off. Fans began to panic a bit, frantically trying to figure out what was going on. Then it was a frenzy of panic the moment Jack posted his video titled 'I'm worried'.

He seemed rather distraught in the video. He explain that he and Mark been playing online and out of nowhere Mark freaked and left everything. His game was still on and his camera was recording. He just left it all. Jack planned on posting the video that he himself recorded, but he thought it was too odd. He also said he had Bob go to his house to check on him and his place was a mess, but there was no sign of him. Bob watched the recording that he left going, but it didn't give him any information except for the fact that Mark went into a sudden panic and then the video went static.

None of Mark's friends could contact him and eventually the concern caught up to his family. They were frantically posting pictures of him on Facebook asking if anyone had seen him. The only times I'd seen him was on the concerned pictures his fans posted. Eventually his parents contacted the police and his face ended up all over the news. It's was traumatizing.

First the video then the news. And the thing is I know Jack would never post anything that would throw people into perpetual panic unless it was important. He was serious and worried and we were too.

"Do you think he's playing a prank on us?" My friend Alice asks.

I shrug sadly, "Mark's humorous, but I doubt he'd go this far."

She sighs, "I guess you're right." I feel exactly the same. Her hope is the same as mine. We all much rather Mark go insane than missing. It would be insane if him to pull a prank of this scale. Nobody would probably ever forgive him, but at least he'd be alive and okay.

"Well, I've gotta get going. My moms expecting me home by 10:00." Alice hops from the couch.

"I'll take you home." I grab the keys to her car. She looks at me, confused so I explain. "It's not far and I can just walk home. I planned on taking a night walk anyway."

She grabs her coat and sighs. "To get your mind off things?"

"Why else?" I shut the front door behind me, heading towards the car. Alice takes the passenger seat and I hop in the drivers side, starting the car.

"I've been thinking..." Alice dozes off. I start the car, looking at her as I back out of the driveway.

I look away, checking to see if anything or anyone is behind us. "What is it?" She's silent. I glance at her, her eyes deep in thought. "Alice."

"Huh?" She looks up. "Oh...it's just been running through my head all evening- like..." she sighs, trailing off.

"Like what?" I say, not taking my eyes off the road ahead. The tires against the street is the only sound that finds my ears. I feel chills up my spine, as a sneaking feeling finds its way in my mind. I don't know what it is, but something doesn't seem right.

"What do you think happened to him?" Her question jolts me outta my thoughts. I hadn't realized how terrifying that question actually was. What really happened? "I mean after all this time, do you think he's even alive?" My heart stops. Just the thought horrifies me.

"Lets talk about something else." I quietly respond, finding it odd I actually find my voice.

I give her a short glance, but she isn't looking my way. Instead her eyes are down in her lap. She mumbles to the point her voice was inaudible. "Sorry."

I sigh. "It's fine. There's not much else to talk about, is there?" Mark's disappearance is all the talk around here.

"If there was, I'd be talking about it." She let out a silent laugh.

"Okay, well, we're here." I shut off the car and lean back in my seat. She looks at me and I at her. We both want answers, but it's no use. He was gone. My eyes begin to burn. I turned away.

"I'll call you to keep you company on your walk. See you tomorrow."

"See ya." Alice and I both hop out and I begin my walk. I shove my hands in my pockets to keep them warm. I'm not even half way there before Alice calls.

"Ya home yet?" Her voice comes through.

"Not yet."

"You're the slowest night-walker ever." She sounds jokingly impatient.

"What can I say? It's supposed to be relaxing not tiring." I pick up my pace, as a shiver goes up my spine.

"Well it is night time. If I were you I'd-" Then it goes static. I stop in my tracks.

"Alice? Hello?" The static continues and in the midst of it I hear what sounds like a scream of agony. The scream seems to echo from my phone into the streets.

I quickly hang up and the screaming echoes into silence. I stand there, stunned. My heart pounding out of my chest, I stared at my phone for a good few seconds.

What the hell?

I shove it in my pocket and run the rest of the way home.