Chapter 1: Lola

Lola Davenport had only been home for one day, but twenty-four hours was easily enough time to reunite her with the troubles of her past.

Had it not been for... distractions, she may have conceded to the miserable feelings nagging at her to dwell, but luckily, the boy between her sheets served well.

"Dela," he cooed, his voice husky with sleep. She could feel the hot skin of his abs pressed against her back, the prints of his thumbs circling patterns over her ribs, and the press of his hips against the back of her thighs...

"What?" she whispered, trying to coax her mind back to the present. A year of college had almost been a holiday, escaping the politics that came with being home. But, alas, despite her plans to travel Europe this summer, she'd landed back here, back in her bedroom, and back in the arms of a stranger.

Well, almost-stranger. He was supposedly the distant relative of a wealthy foreign monarch, though it was only after he'd ended up in her bed that she'd wondered if that had simply been a line dropped simply to seduce her.

"I have work in an hour," he murmured against her shoulder blade, finishing his words with a gentle kiss.

Lola moaned, rolling over so she could see him in the day. He was gorgeous, full lips and thick lashes and a sharp jawline shadowed by designer stubble.

"Wait," she said, jostled from her thoughts. "Work?"

"I clean pools," he said, and the smirk that fixed on his face told her he just knew this would irk her. And he was reveling in it.

"You clean pools," she repeated slowly, her brows raising. He could not be serious. She had just slept with a pool boy. Multiple times.

"Yep," he said with triumph as he slowly rolled out of her silky sheets.

Was this some fetish he had? Luring rich blonde girls into bed with a few clever lies?

"You have got to be kidding," she hissed. As he stood full height, completely naked, she had to stop her stomach from clenching with longing. His shoulders were broad and sculpted, and his abdomen tanned and rock hard – she'd remembered testing its abilities in creative ways last night, both of them tipsy with lust and longing.

God, she was disgusted. And also aroused.

"I'm not kidding. But I think you were when you told me you didn't do this often," he said with a chuckle. Even his snickering was enchanting. He picked up his clothes from the floor and started pulling on the items one by one.

"I don't," she said, and she felt her cheeks flush. Carefully, she too removed herself from the bed, making sure to take a sheet with her. She wasn't about to give him another show.

"My name's Alex," he said, ignoring her denial. "Short for Alejandro, if you're into the exotic. I've saved my number in your phone in case you want to... catch up again."

Lola's mouth popped open with outrage. "How dare—"

"Best be going," he said, flashing her a smile full of white teeth, inducing an unwilling attraction. "I'll see myself out."

She followed him – still holding the sheet over her body – out of her room and down the stairs. Though her parents weren't home, she still felt completely embarrassed to be rushing after Alex in barely a blanket.

She had half a mind to strangle him, but even if she could, it would mean dropping her modesty, and so she stood there with a scowl on her face as he blew her a kiss and exited the front door.

When he was gone, she ran a finger over her raw lips, still tasting the passionate kisses that he had given her last night, and she couldn't help but give in to the small smile creeping over her mouth.