Part I: Chapter Five - The Sons of York

The wind swept through the old dock. The stench of rotting debris and death swam through the air and dived into the sea. A large ship sailed into the harbour, it's sides were damaged from the great storm which lay out at sea and it's deck was submerged in a foot of water.

Men emerged from the ship, knights in armour ready for battle. The marched through the dock and into the dying meadow beyond the tavern and fisherman's hut. Towards a small town.

At the head of them were two proud young men. Two brothers searching for a third. Edward and Richard Plantagenet were their names. The eldest Edward was the deposed King of England and Richard was a Duke, Duke of Gloucester, as well as his brothers loyal subject.

As the men came to a stop a single man on horse back galloped over the hill and towards them. The man upon the great horse ground to a halt and dismounted, calling to the groups.

"Brother George." Edward of York beamed as George, his younger brother, marched towards him. He opened up his arms and embraced his brother in his arms. Edward was a head taller than both brothers, his chin was rested on George's golden hair as he held the brother he thought he had lost.

Alongside Edward stood Richard, the smallest and youngest of the three, who looked at George like he was filth. George had abandoned them when they needed him most and for that Richard loathed him.

Richard felt no need to address his elder brother in such a fine manor, he was a Duke also; George, Duke of Clarence.

"Your Grace." George smirked as he was held in his brother Edward's arms. His fair hair fell over his eyes so he could not see the scowl which crossed Richard face. Silence. Silence was all there was for a moment before George was released from Edward's arms and could look at his second eldest brother.

"How is your child?" Richard asked George with a sly look upon his face.

"Dead. Lost at sea, a storm almost took our ship as we travelled for France. It died because Calais closed its harbour to us. My first child is dead." George shouted at Richard wanting to break past Edward and throttle his younger brother. "And its all your fault."

"My fault?" Richard asked with a raised eyebrow. He placed his hand on the pommel on top of his sword and prepared to draw it from its sheath to attack George. Edward placed his hand upon Richards shoulder and looked at George with utter confusion.

"Yes if Calais was not loyal to York my child would have lived." George told them his face alight with anger. His hand lingered around his own sword. He was not too fond of his younger brother, Edward's favourite and Warwick's favourite too. He was too perfect for George's liking. He was obedient, he wouldn't rebel and marry Anne Neville, he would not turn on Edward even if it meant his life saved. Their mother was the only person to adore George the most, but one person was not enough.

"If you had not rebelled against us your son would have lived." Richard pointed out, eager to see his brother angry once more. Both men kept their hands ready to release their swords. Richards thoughts went to his childhood friends, Anne and Isabelle - poor Isabelle the child was hers too. All she had wanted was a baby, that was all she spoke of. Her baby was gone now. Richard scowled at George, he had caused those poor girls pain. And Anne was only a child, innocent of everything but forced to suffer so much.

That angered Richard even more than George's smug face, but he hid it and kept his face straight. George didn't need to see his emotion.

George wished to correct him, tell him the child was a girl, but if people believe the dead daughter to be a dead son. Who was he to stop them? The death of an heir was far worse than that of a daughter.