Five

One month and a half later, Draco found himself standing on platform nine and three quarters. He held himself under a heavy disillusionment charm that rendered his body invisible. His heavy glare burned holes through Potter's head. Potter laughed and smiled to his two sons leaving. The older one, Teddy, was talking to a blonde girl. Draco had seen her picture in the paper once. It was Potter niece.

Draco stepped towards the oh-so-happy family. Several students moved in front of him and Draco lost sight of Potter for a moment. By the time he regained sight of him, he had moved to the other side of the platform. Now Potter was next to Victoire.

To anyone else, they would clearly see that Teddy, the well known metamorphmagus, had just transformed into his Godfather to make fun of something he said. But Draco... he wasn't in his right mind. He'd fallen back on his old ways and had returned to alcohol. He was drunk out of his mind. The only thing that crossed him ind was "Why is stupid Potter getting on the train?"

Draco followed him. He jumped on the train just moments before it started to move down the tracks to Hogwarts.

Teddy, who had shifted out of his Potter form, moved down the aisle of train and he and Victoire went into a compartment alone. Draco payed no attention. He pulled out his wand and slipped into the compartment after them. With slightly slurred words, he muttered a spell he had found.

Next thing he knew, Teddy and Victoire had both disappeared. Draco smiled just a bit. He produced a flask from his cloak and drained it. He apparated and fell on landing at his sister in law's place.

She flung the door open. "Draco what the hell did you do?" Tears streaming down her face, Daphne dragged the poor man into her house.

"Daddy?" Scorpius stood not far away.

"Scorpius, go to your room." Daphne demanded. Reluctantly, the boy retreated. Draco waved at him solemnly.

"Bye bye boy." he said in a sing song voice.

"Shut it." Daphne struck him across the face with the most force he could muster. "Go to bed." she kicked Draco's leg. "Sleep it off." Draco made no move to do as he was told. He had passed out on the cold tile floor. Daphne screamed in frustration. She waved her wand and Draco's unconscience body floated its way to the spare bedroom. Least to say, Daphne was gentle setting him down.

***

"Mr. Malfoy?" the nurse called through the waiting room. Draco shot up and did everything he could not to run past the nurse and to his wife. He tried to walk slowly and calmly. "You should come say your goodbyes." This time he chose to run. The nurse called after him, but she was ignored.

He burst into Astoria's room. Several sobs escaped Draco's lips. Astoria's eyes fluttered. It was the only sign that she was still alive. The rest of her was pale and pasty. Her body laid still and limp. Her lips tried to form a word or two, but they failed, only making a muffled groan.

"Astoria, love." Draco flung himself to his wife's side. "I failed you. I'm so sorry." Astoria groaned again. "I love you and I'm sorry."

Her eyes managed to flicker open for just a second. She looked directly to Draco. He whimpered. Astoria tried to move her hand to hold his. She only moved it about an inch before Draco reached to grasp hers. He kept mumbling the same thing over and over. He said "I love you, I love you, I love you." Astoria wanted to throw herself into his arms, but she was too weak.

"Ssss..." she tried. "scor.." she didn't finish her words, but she knew that her husband knew.

"Scorpius. Yes, Scorpius." Draco said quickly. He swept her hair out of his face. "Our beautiful son."

With all her strength, Astoria managed these words: "Take c-care of h- him. N- not your d-ad. K- keep him away fr- from y-your d- dad. D- Daf will help."

"Astoria..." Draco cried.

"I love you." Were Astoria's last words. She slipped under the cloak of death only seconds later.

Out in the waiting room, Daphne sat with Scorpius. She let the boy lean against her and stroked her hair. She whispered little nothings to keep him calm. Scorpius let silent tears fall down his cheeks and his Aunt wiped them away from time to time.

There was a sudden wail that flooded the waiting room. Daphne said "screw it" to hospital protocol and leaped up and ran to her younger sister's room with her nephew in tow.

"She- she- she-" Draco stuttered. "She's dead." Daphne fell to her knees. She chocked her sobs and covered her mouth with her hands. Scorpius stood in the doorway. He said nothing. He did nothing. He just let the tears slip down his babyfaced cheeks as he looked at his mum's dead body lying on the hospital cot.