Chapter 6: Calamari

The time on my CPhone turned to 3:45 and that was our queue to walk into the grand studio.

The walls were either black, pink or green. Their colours respectively. I studied every poster and ad they had propped upon the walls. A worker offered to take our jackets, I gave them mine but Percy did not want to. The worker then told us to follow him down a long hallway.

   "I've never seen the inside of here before." Percy stuffed his hands in his pockets, looking at the ceiling.
"Has anyone? This place seems like a sacred area."
   "World Tournament participants, maybe some other people too."
"Wow! I'd love to be in the World Tournament! With...with... Via!"
   "...And Az, Cinny, Lucas..." He continued on my list of super good players.
"Who's Az?"
   "Az is someone from here. People also call them Absolute Zero, because everyone gets absolutely 0 kills on him, which is where Az comes from."
"Someone? Them? They don't have a specified gender?" I looked at Percy.
   "Nor a face. Only their team knows what they look like." He looked back at me.
"What team are they on then?"
   "Krak-en It Up."

What are the coincedences?

   "I know someone from that team! Oh! Oh! Bangle!"
"You met Bangle?" He put a lot of emphasis on met. I guess he does not believe me.
   "Oh yeah! I played with his Turf War team today. Super good. They even offered me a spot."
"Did you accept?"
   "Not yet."
"ACCEPT! You could be famous if they make it to the tournament level. I read this on the cover of the newspaper, the Third-Annual Turf Wars tournament is accepting new entries soon."
   "I know, I'm just worried if I'm not good."
"Really? You, not good? Sheldon gave you a roller before you were supposed to."
   "Don't you sugar-coat this. I'm still new to all of this."
"Alright, alright. Your choice."

The worker opened up a large door and told us to sit on the couch, which was nicely across two chairs from the same set.
A table was set nicely in the middle, with two piping hot coffees on the opposite side of us.
The couch was nice and comfy when we sat.

   "Please wait here!" He shut the door.

I fiddled with my thumbs when we heard his footsteps get quieter and quieter. I didn't know what to ask them, nor did I even mean to be here. I just entered as a heat-of-the-moment decision. Whoops. I mouthed, exhaling deeply soon after. Beside me, Percy was sunken in the cushion comfortably. He was looking at the ceiling until when he noticed I was watching him.

   "Nervous?" I guess he could tell I wasn't prepared.
   "Very." I separated my hands, as my palms became to get clammy.

He smiled and let out a small laugh.

   "Chillax, man. It's not like your meeting the biggest stars in the country." He said sarcasticly as he slipped his hands on the cushion to prop himself up.

I was about to "chillax" until I heard the sound of multiple high heels walking towards the door. Suddenly, it opened and in came Callie and Marie. Marie held the door open for Callie and they both smiled as they walked over to their chairs.

   "Hiya!" Callie waved her gloved hand. So did Marie.
   "H-h-hiiiiiiii!" I stammered, suprised that Callie was as friendly as I thought.

Marie held her hand to her mouth and laughed.

   "You're Psyche, right? And your Percy, I'm guessing. Cute couple, eh, Callie?"
"Just friends! We're not dating..." I quickly corrected her.
   "...Yet." They both said at the same time. They both gasped and high-fived.

After another round of laughing, Marie cleared her throat.
   "SO! Now to the part why your here."

Callie clapped her hands together and folded her fingers over her knuckles in exitement.

   "Ah, yes! I've got some questions." I lied.
"Go ahead!" Marie replied.
   "You guys call yourselves the Squid Sisters, right? Are you guys actually sisters though?"
"ABSOLUTELY not. We're actually cousins, we just thought it would be easier to say "Squid Sisters" than "Squid Cousins." Callie remarked, holding one finger to her lip as she tried to remember.
   "When did you guys begin your career then? Having to make such a name." Percy finally pipped up.

Callie burst out in hysterical laughter, and on the other chair, Marie snorted.
   "We won a Youth Folk-singing competition when we were kids. That's when labels began to notice us as prodiges, and we began a signing careers when we were 14." Callie rested her head on her hand, and took a sip of her coffee.
   "At only 14? You guys are so successful! I just turned 14 and I live an average life."

Callie smiled.

   "Every life is amazing on its own, it's just when the person chooses to find happiness, they realise what a good life they've lived."

Marie choked on her coffee.

   "That was deep for someone like you." She swallowed and laughed.
"Thanks. I learn from the best." Callie sat up and put her hands together, to mimic the way schools taught us to sit.
   "Me, I'm guessing? Queen of sass and pizza eating competitions?"
"Nah, I learned from Gramps."
   "Who's "Gramps?" Percy sat up even more.
"He's Captain Cuddlefish, the military leader here."

What a segue.

   "Really now? I don't suppose you were once, or currently part of the agency?" Percy put his elbows on his knees and leaned forward.
"Uhhh. Yeah? Nobody really knew that. How did you know?" Callie tilted her head.
   "Well, I'm agent 8 and I remember being mentored by Agent 1 and 2, who seemed to look very familiar to you guys, not to mention this photo." He finally showed the photo he took.