01 | On The Run

Kellan couldn't even react as she stared at the casket slowly disappear six feet under from her sight. Tears streamed down her cheeks, but she just could not cry. For Kellan to acknowledge that she is gone and she'll never get the chance to see her again, was beyond unfathomable. Not even having the chance to say she love her one last time, or a single goodbye. Her provider and best friend is gone, and there is nothing she can say or do to bring her back...

She gazed blankly ahead of her as visitors walked past with their family and loved ones. It cut deeply knowing that she'll never have that again. Standing there as if everything around her was spinning miles a minute meanwhile her feet were planted in the spot she stood.

The inscribed words pained Kellan's heart as she read letter for letter, word for word, on the tombstone. The only child, at seventeen years old, being left in this world all alone to defend for herself. As of now everything seemed numb, but Kellan dreaded the day that her emotions would implode.

The sun began to peak through the thick, gray clouds so she placed on some dark shades to hide the tears that effortlessly slipped. Inhaling deeply, she read the engraved words once more before gradually walking to her white Nissan Sentra. She wasn't certain where she was going, but she had to leave, and quick.

No family or friends, Kellan was all on her lonesome. The current problem with now being independent is not money, but rather guidance. Having someone to push her in the right direction, give advice and necessary information to grow up, is what she lacked. Tara was all she had and everything she needed. She raised Kellan to be strong and humble, but who is she when a piece of her has died with Tara.

With her small suitcases of clothes and necessities, Kellan drove and drove until she couldn't drive anymore. Headed in no specific direction, she allowed her gut intuition, and a full gas tank, to direct her miles away from where she use to call home. She could not possibly stay after everything that has happened. She had to move forward, to start over— Tara would want that.

Riding alone, Kellan wanted to weep like a baby, but she couldn't. Tears would fall heavily, but she just couldn't cry cry. It wasn't hitting her like she expected.

Positioning the rearview mirror, she noticed a black SUV had been following her. At first, she thought she was just being paranoid, but after a few right and left turns, she was convinced, and Kellan started to panic. She pressed her foot on the gas causing the speed to drift her into another city's limit along with the black mysterious car still trailing behind. She cursed to herself wondering how long it was before she noticed the car and made a few more turns, allowing herself to get ahead a few blocks before she pulled over on the side of a dark street, near some tall vacant buildings.

Without even completely closing the car door, Kellan ran down a midnight dark alley not once looking back. Adrenaline and panic struck through her veins, and she turned around a corner only to be smacked into another person causing her bag and everything in it to fall out on the ground. She started to leave it all and run, but she needed it, so Kellan scrambled to pick up the items, not thinking to see who she collided into, and quite frankly, she didn't care at the moment, her life was in danger.

"Watch where the fuck you goin', B!" Kellan ignored the deep male voice as she continued to stuff her things into her bag.

As tempted as she was to glance up to where she was running from, she didn't, and her eyes began to sting from forcing herself to hold in tears, and her hearing turned into a complete mute. Kellan's heart thumped rapidly as if it was trying to escape her chests cavity. Still crouched on the ground, Kellan closed her eyes to gain some type of lull, calming herself. Maybe she is paranoid, she thought. Taking a few deep breaths, she swallowed, feeling her throat being desperately dry.