Striking Back

CIEL MEYERS

I don't know how long I had fallen asleep but when I opened my eyes, the room is quiet and deserted.

"Oh, you're awake." Someone said and I sat up.

This is when I realized that I'm napping on Lea's lap.

"What time is it?" I asked frantically. And looked at my wrist watch.

"It's five. And the crew already left. We all agreed to resume tomorrow." She informed me.

"And you stayed behind? Why didn't you wake me up?" The irritation is laced on the words I said but I don't care.

"Well, there was no choice. I couldn't move, you're sleeping on my lap and besides I think you needed sleep." She smiled widely at me.

"So it's my fault then?" I asked.

"No. Of course not. I love it when you I'm with you."

With that. I couldn't give another sarcastic remark.

"Thanks." I muttered and stand up. "I'll be going then."

Her brilliant smile faded instantly. "I was wondering if I coukd take you to dinner. You weren't able to join us the first time so maybe we could go out this time." She asked hopefully.

Come on, Ciel! Think fast!

"Uhm, I really need to go. I have an appointment with my dentist at six."

What a lame excuse but that's all I could think of.

She's not stupid. That's a fact.

She can read between the lines and  I would be very grateful if she will just drop the subject. But to my further dismay and frustration, she said the opposite.

"Then let me come with you."

Damn it!!

Feeling cornered and annoyed, I blurted, "Alright, where are we eating?"

At that, her megawatt smile returned.

...

"So what do you want to eat?" She asked again for the third time since we seated. I frowned at the menu then looked at her.

"Anything is fine. But the real question is, are you going to pay?"

She laughed at my inquiry.

"Sure, no problem." She said when she stopped.

Don't get wrong. I can pay my own bills. I'm one of the wealthy young celebrities in Hollywood, if you must know and I don't need anyone to pay my expenses.

But it irks me tremendously that the person sitting in front of me is the last person I wanted to be with.

To be fair, she's gonna foot the bills.

While waiting for our food to be served, I fished out my phone and determined to ignore her the whole time. But she's habing none of it.

"Can we be friends in Facebook?", she too is now holding her phone.

"I don't do Facebook." I do have an account but my Lucy is the one who's managing it. Growing up, I isolated myself so I don't have a lot of friends.

"That's too bad. Then let me follow you in Twitter or any of your social media accounts."

Can't she notice I don't wanna talk to her?

I shook my head and went back to my cellphone.

I heard her sigh.

"Ciel.. did I somehow offend you?" She asked softly.

"No." I said without looking at her.

"Are you angry with me?"

Honest answer? Big YES!

Scratch that.. I HATE YOU!!!

"No." I replied though my mind is screaming, YES.

"Okay." Her voice is sad.. but so what?

We ate in absolute silence. That's fine with me because I'm used to eating alone and this situation is no difference.

...

I hail a cab despite her insistence to bring me home. I can't count the times I turned her down this day, she should be irritated by now so why is she still sticking with me?

"Look, I appreciate you worrying about my welfare but I've been doing this all my life and I'm okay with it. I don't want you looking after me when you shouldn't have to." I said frankly.

The intensity in ny voice as I said those words struck her.

The sudden shock and hurt is written all over her face.

I want to take it back but something tells me that I made the right thing.

"Goodnight, Ms Lea. And thank you for dinner." I said then went inside the waiting cab.

In the side view mirror, I saw her still standing on where I left her.

How does it feel to be left behind, mother dear?

End of Chapter
~0~