The place where it happened

She has been staring at the ceiling for hours, her mind constantly exploding from the flashbacks flooding her mind. If it wasn't because of something happened 3 months ago, she'd be in Johns Hopkins University studying medicine, hanging out with friends and maybe even having a relationship with some cute guy in the class. If only...

*Flashbacks*

"Hey Claire, it's like 11 p.m. now, you really should go home, I'll cover the shift for you, it's not like there are that many customers in midnight." Keith, a 24 year-old boy who had a slight affection toward Claris, suggested.

"Nah, it's really fine. I've already missed one whole week of work because I was preparing for my medical school exam, if I miss anymore I'll probably get fired in no time. The boss already disliked me." She joked lightly, while sanitizing the plates.

"Alright then, I'll leave the store for you. My mom is still at home waiting and she's gonna go search for me in the city if I am not at home at 12. See ya tomorrow!"

"See you, safe drive!" She yelled to him as he rushed packing his stuff up and cantered to his car.

She sighed. She has liked this guy since the first day they met, and she was certain he felt the same way for her. However, their relationships maintained as colleagues and friends, haven't yet gone to another level. Anyways, she quickened her pace of cleaning the store, so that she could go home before the chilly breeze of Boston's night devoured her completely.

She was mopping the floor when she heard loud arguments. It sounded like it came from the backyard. She hesitantly put down the mop and walked quietly through the room and to the backyard. She used a large rubbish bin to cover herself up.

"Please Demitriv, I beg you, just give me one more week, I promise you I will give you all the money I owe you..." She could only make out the silhouette of two men, the small man kneeling down begging, and the big muscular one stood their pointing a gun at the man. Wait...A GUN?! I'm not dreaming am I? She thought to herself.

The tall man left out an apathetic laugh. "You think I'm some dumb ass like you, Antonio? I can't believe I actually believed in you in the first place, and I was munificent enough to pay for your stupid little restaurant. And that's what I get??! You did not pay me back anything." The man readjusted the gun to point at the little guy's chest.

Her heart rate accelerated ten folds. The name that tall name mentioned, sounded familiar. Antonio...HER BOSS'S NAME IS ALSO ANTONIO. Oh my god...She took a glance to the short man again. He was bald just like her boss, and his voice was a little bit hoarse, which is exactly like her boss. Oh no... She was on the urge of shrieking, however she managed to resist the feeling. Instinct took in, she tried to retreat back to a safe place. Just when she tried to stand up, she lost her balance and knocked over the water bottle on the rubbish bin.

She once heard a saying "Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong", and she did not believe in it. She was always an optimist, always saying that even on the worst day, there is a possibility for joy. Well, certainly, today was not the case.