Chapter 1: Learn Together, Die Together

It happened at school. Funny thing though, it wasn’t because of the Code Blue. After the alert was sounded, we followed procedure and hid. It wasn’t a drill, so we all were very aware there was an intruder on campus. Mr. Holtzen turned out the lights and locked the door. Most of us were sitting along the bookcase on the North wall. There were only twelve of us in class that day – not that uncommon considering there are only fourteen in AP Government. I was squished between Lizzie and Rebekah. Megan was on the other side of Lizzie when she leaned over to ask, “Have you talked to your sister yet?” I shook my head. There was no way Jordan’s teacher would allow her to have her phone out, even at a time like this, but I decided to text her anyway. Rebekah did the same. Her sister was in the same class as mine. I noticed other people pulling out their cell phones as well, probably informing their parents of the situation. I had opened a message to my mom when Mr. Beierschmitt’s booming voice drawled on through the intercom to inform us that the Code Blue has been cleared, everything was going to be ok.

            “…Teachers, please resume your class as normal. Thank—“ There was the echo of a shriek before the intercom abruptly shut off. It sounded like a microphone when the frequencies interfere, but by the looks of my classmates, I wasn’t the only one who thought it was a scream.

            Mr. Holtzen, our fearless leader who crusaded the realm of Government curriculum, preceded with his lesson that entailed a discussion of the First Amendment. By the lack of comments, I knew we were mostly in shock of a real Code Blue.

            All of a sudden, my sister was calling me. My phone was on silent, but I saw her name pop up. I asked permission to answer it, and with a quiet nod from Mr. Holtzen, I did. My sister was out of breath and sobbing after I said hello.

            “Jordan, what’s wrong? What’s happening?” my eyebrows furrowed deeply. She was trying to say something, but she screamed and the line went dead. Fear had gripped my heart. I could tell it showed on my face because everyone else was looking worried. Rebekah opened her mouth to say something, but a heavy object slammed against the door. I became aware that there was a lot of muffled screaming, some of it getting louder until it was right outside the door, which continued to shake and slam though it was still locked.

            Mr. Holtzen ran over to his desk and grabbed a crowbar that was apparently under it. He cautiously went to the door, motioning for everyone to stay back. He was about to open it when the frosted glass window on the door was shattered through. A mutilated and bloody hand came with it, clawing at the air. Cara screamed. The hand, and whatever was attached to the other end, heard her and moved frantically, grabbing the air. More glass was shattered to the floor as hands punched and clawed until most of the door’s window was gone with the wooden frame barely intact. The screaming was no longer muffled and it was aided by Cara and Beth, who were both close behind.

            Mr. Holtzen started yelling something to Nick and Sean, but I didn’t quite understand what he was saying. They ran to the closet and grabbed a few more objects like broom handles. I managed to get my hands on some sort of rod. It looked like the foot of a chair. My life went into slow motion as we formed a line by holding hands. Nick was right behind Mr. Holtzen and they were holding each other’s wrists. Shawn held up the end and nodded to Mr. Holtzen. I was behind Lizzie, who was squeezing my hand into a pulp. The metal rod was in my right hand, with Rebekah also attached to it. I could see my worry reflected in Rebekah and Megan’s eyes. I knew we were all thinking of our younger sisters. Mr. Holtzen took an heroic breath before kicking the door open, slinging his crowbar.

            The chaos was immeasurable. There was blood everywhere. And screaming. Lots of screaming. I finally got a glimpse of the whole disaster. It took me a moment to take in the scene. People were eating people. It was like attack of the cannibals, apocalypse edition. I had a flashback to watching my friend play Xbox – specifically Left 4 Dead. It hit me as fast Mr. Holtzen hit the moving skull in front of him.