H-hello

My lips automatically turn up at the corners as I listen to my sister go on a rant about her customers. Even though she sounds like she is at her wits end with her clients' usual antics, I know she loves every second of it.

So I listen and grunt every few seconds not because I am interested in the tiny French town's latest gossip but because I know my dear sister Clara need a listening ear. Even if she is telling me for the fourth time in a row that Mr. Brown has a OCD problem.

The sound of My footsteps echo in the near empty loft apartment across from your place. I am glancing at your window every few moments. You are busy in that little place of yours Buttercup. Through your text messages and emails, I know you are preparing for a night out with your friends. I don't like it. Actually I don't approve in the slightest to be honest.

What are you going to wear? How will you display that beautiful long mane of yours? ....We will see I guess.

Clara stops mid rant and interrupts my pondering thoughts of you and say "Enough about my boring issues. What about you brother? How have you been?" I chuckle and stop in front of my direct window view of your bedroom.

"Not much has changed from yesterday sister. And for the record your life is so much more interesting then mine."

I can almost hear my sister's grin through the receiver as she laughs, "That is because you do not go out and enjoy yourself! You are in New York! Go out and enjoy yourself."

"I see enough of this place as it is. And you know sister New York isn't as glamorous as the movies makes it out to be."

Now it's my twin's turn to grunt and hush away my weak attempt at trying to steer the conversation away from me. "Come on Mikel, tell me something new." She continue to press.

I immediately look down at a tiny shaking bundle in the corner of the loft. "I think I have a dog now." I reply

My sister's high pitch squeal causes me to cringe in surprise. "Oh Mikel! A dog? What do you mean you think you have a dog? Either you do or you don't."

I sigh out and walk over to the shivering tiny form. Looking down at the helpless little rat of a dog, I frown. Earlier I had to wrap the poor thing in a wool blanket it was shaking so hard. Perhaps it's something that small dogs just do? Or maybe it is still suffering from the effects of what it has gone through earlier.

"I found him on the street all alone. Who knows if his owner is looking for him or not." I lie.

The thing about lying is that the more you do it, the easier and better at it you get. Had I been standing in front of my sister she would have easily been able to tell that I am lying. But fortunately in this case she is thousands of miles away. I think I will spear her the details of how I actually came across the chihuahua.

I don't know the full context of why but I am assuming the scumbag was his owner. The thing about living in a city like New York is that you quickly learn to put your head down and mind your own business. Something I have no problem with doing except when it comes to the innocent. Walking by some random alley, I heard yelps and snarls. I don't really know what came over me but I decided to follow the hopeless sounds to a man kicking the shit out of this little one.

So of course I had to kick the shit out of the man....I mean it was the only right thing to do.

So I did it. I kicked him and kicked him some more......he's probably dead now but that's neither here nor there. Anyway I couldn't just leave the pitiful thing alone in the middle of the city. So here I am stand in the middle of an empty ass loft staring down at a pair of beady black eyes wondering what the hell did I just get myself into.