Chapter 2 - London, Baby!

Dakota's POV

I lean my head back against the seat and heave a long sigh. I can't help but smile at how the night turned out. Olivia is sitting next to me grinning like a loon. "So, I guess it's okay if I book adjoining suites for you and Sparky after all?"

A giggle escapes as I mutter, "Yes, I suppose so." I lean back and sigh again, "Oh Liv, that man. He fills up my heart until it bubbles over. Sometimes it scares me – how much I love him."

"Why does that scare you?"

Turning to gaze out the window, I exhale. "Because I don't think I could survive losing him."

She reaches over to pat my leg, "Sweetie, as hard as he's worked to get you, I don't think you have to worry about losing him."

I smile at her and roll my eyes. "God, I sound pathetic. I will NOT be a wimpy female. My mama raised me to be a lady, but not weak."

"Honey, you are a living, breathing steel magnolia. Nobody could mistake you for a weakling."

I turn back to the window, "Yeah, but everyone has an Achilles heel. And mine is named Jamie."

Olivia reaches over to take my hand. "Listen to me. Don't borrow trouble. You guys have already dealt with it – IN SPADES! Now you're getting to the good part. Embrace it. Enjoy it. Revel in it, sister! This is what you've been waiting for!"

One of the things I value most about Olivia is her level-headedness, not to mention her unwavering support. I give her hand a squeeze. "You're right. Thanks for the head knock."

Resolved, I pull out my phone to text Jamie. "Travel safe and let me know when you're on the ground. Xoxo, D"

A response chimes within seconds. "Missing you already, beautiful. Sleep tight and dream of me. I'll text you when I land."

Staring at my phone with a goofy smile, I can't help but swoooooonnnnnn. Like I need to SLEEP to dream of him. Silly man. MY silly man. Yep. I'm definitely gonna let him catch me.

Jamie's POV

I lean back in my business class seat with a peaceful sigh. I close my eyes and sip my wine as I reflect on the night with a smile. That woman owns my ass and I could not be happier. Finally, FINALLY it's about US. We're going to be able to be a couple and start our life together. No road blocks, no impediments, no legal issues.

My wheels are turning rapidly in my brain. I plan to call Don and make a golf date so I can have 'the talk' with him. While I have some pretty specific ideas for the ring I want to give her, I want to make certain that she will love it, so I'm going to invite Mel to go to Tiffany's with me to give her input and approval.

Thinking back on the night, I remember how good it felt to hold her close. I've missed her scent and the feel of her soft body against mine. I've missed the sound of her voice and the way her gaze can penetrate my soul. I have to shift in my seat and adjust myself. Need to stow those thoughts away for a bit.

I smile when I remember her little outburst of possessive jealousy. It was my first clue that she actually wants me still. If she didn't, she wouldn't care if I was chasing someone else. Although, note to self – don't piss her off. She really can be scary when she is riled. I know her Dad taught her how to shoot, but she doesn't need a gun to knock you down. I chuckle as I remember her glaring at me with a sharp, "Don't toy with me." Oh sweetheart, I have no intention of TOYING with you, but we are most definitely going to do some playing.