Chapter 2: Kiya... Thrill of the Hunt

I entered the elevator and stared at my feet.

Sarah wrapped her arms around me and tucked my head under her chin. "It'll be alright. Sir can be harsh, but he won't hurt you again so soon."

"Don't put it past him," muttered Jacob.

"Stop it," said Sarah. "That's not helping."

"We both know Holt is insane."

"How many times do I have to tell you not to call him that?"

"Sarah, his name is Jonathan Holt." Jacob folded his arms. "Not Sir."

"It doesn't matter. You know what would happen to you, or even Alex, if Sir finds out."

He glanced at me.

Keeping my eyes pointed at the ground, I shifted my weight from side to side.

"Fine." He pulled me over to him.

The elevator opened, revealing a white-tiled corridor.

"We'll meet you in the hangar," said Jacob to his sister.

She nodded and went with the other girls, while we headed to the boy's locker-room. Jacob held open the door and I slipped past him. The other boys gathered their things and headed off to the showers. Once they were gone, I sat down on the metal bench in the middle of the aisle.

Jacob opened his locker and took out a fresh pair of clothes before coming over to sit by me. I peeked over at him as he removed his shirt. He was a true warrior. The thick layer of muscle that coated his body confirmed it. Jacob was made for fighting; I, on the other hand, was made for running.

Peering down at my wiry frame, I hoped one day I'd grow as big as him. Like the others Haydeans, his face didn't look much older than mine but his size was a different matter. Sir was what the humans considered middle age, yet Jacob, despite being as large, appeared rather young. Every time I asked him about his age, he'd mumble something about how age only mattered in a fight and that would be the end of it.

Jacob patted my shoulder. "I'm going to take a quick shower. Are you coming or do you want to stay here?"

"I'll wait here."

"Are you sure?"

"I don't want them to see." I tugged on the bottom of my shirt.

"Fair enough, but I'm going to take a look at it later." Patting my knee, he left for the showers.

As soon as he was gone, I went to my locker. I took out a pair of tan shorts and a shirt and dropped them on the bench. After changing my pants, I eased my shirt over my head and went to the bathroom. Facing the mirror, I tried to avoid looking at the blue eyes in my reflection. With a deep breath, I turned around to get an idea of the damage.

New wounds mixed with old scars. Sir hadn't spared an inch of my skin. Turning on the faucet, I dipped a paper towel under the water and did my best to clean up any of the dried blood I could reach.

"Holt sure had fun with you last night."

I dropped the paper wad in my hand and clutched the counter. Brace's reflection appeared in the mirror. He leaned against the end stall with a shredded shirt tossed over his shoulder. I staggered back to the opposing wall as he moved closer.

"Come on. I'm not going to hurt you."

"Go away."

"There's nothing to be afraid of, Alex. Like I said before, I'm not here to hurt you."