One Starry Night

It was a cold, cold night. The icy wind blew hard across the sleepy little town. The trees swayed, the wealthy snored, while the homeless shivered vigorously through the night.
Sitting still on the outskirts of town is the home of the Lightsworths. It was a warm and cozy little house decorated with shimmering Christmas lights. A joyous atmosphere filled the the whole room. The Lightsworths were in the middle of a celebration.

" Neville, c'mon! Tap dance with us!" Mr. Lightsworth shouted whilst tap dancing with his 3-year-old daughter.

Neville, still playing the fiddle, tap danced closer to his father and sister.

"Oh, how I wish I could tap dance while playing the piano!" Mrs Lightsworth complained, her fingers still can't seem to stop pressing the piano tuts.

" Honey, we can always sing together! Deck the halls with boughs of holly, Fa La La La La La La La La..." Mr Lightsworth started singing and the rest of the family sang along.
◇◇◇
"Daddy..." the little girl whined. "Where's my present? I'm very sleepy." She eventually starts to yawn, yanking her father's hand.
"Oh, dear, I'm really sorry... How can I forget it?" He kneeled down and comforted her.

"Eh-em... Lightsworths, we're about to reach the finale of tonight's celebration!" Mr. Lightsworth announced.

The music suddenly stopped. Mrs. Lightsworth ran towards her husband, looking puzzled,
"Why so early?" She whispered to his ear.
"Our little princess wants to sleep so bad." Mr. Lightsworth whispered back.

Mrs. Lightsworth nodded knowingly.
"I'll prepare the gift," she said and hurriedly went to her room. Mr. Lightsworth instantly followed her path.
◇◇◇
"Neville... I'm so sleepy..." the girl whined, this time pulling her brother's shirt. Neville took her in his arms, lifted her off the ground, spun her in the air, and chuckled,
"You need to be patient. Good things always happen to those who wants to wait."
He then put his sister back to the ground.
"Well, I want to wait then..." his sister replied while rubbing her eyes. She's trying to stay awake. After all, it's her birthday celebration. She didn't want to miss one single moment of it, especially the finale!

Boom! Boom! Boom! The confetti gun blew, spitting out pieces of colored papers.
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY NINA!" Mr. and Mrs. Lightsworth shouted in unison. Neville, who was equally surprised as his sister, just clapped his hands and hugged his sister.
"Happy Birthday Nina... Stay sweet, little fella."

Nina's face lit up and a huge smile was carved on it. The happiness she's feeling had caused her sleepiness to evaporate. She was  thrilled.

"Here's your present, dear," Mrs. Lighstworth handed Nina the gift and gave her a kiss in the cheek.
"Thank you, Mommy! Thank you, Daddy. Thanks to you Neville!! " She was really grateful. She can't help expressing her gratitude to everyone around.

"Make sure you take care of it. It's really important, " Mr. Lightsworth reminded her.

"Of course! But what is it?"
"Why don't you open it and see for yourself?"

It was a small gift indeed. Wrapped in white paper with a red bow on top, it was a sweet one.

Nina carefully opened the gift, guessing what the gift could be.

"A necklace? Wow, it's beautiful!" She exclaimed, looking at her parents.

"It's a nightingale," Mrs Lightsworth explained.

"A what?" Nina asked. She's never heard that word before.

"A nightingale," Mrs Lightsworth repeated. "It's a bird that sings the most beautiful songs in the world."

"The nightingale is our family's emblem," Mr Lightsworth said. "The necklace has been passed down for generations. Now we're passing it down to you."

This was confusing. It was complicated. Nina couldn't seem to understand. Why are they already passing down the family legacy? I'm only three. She thought.

The atmosphere also seemed to have changed. Although she didn't fully understand what's going on, she sensed that something bad is coming...
♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤
Hey, Guys! First of all, I would like to apologize for the 6 month-delay. I'm terribly sorry and I felt really bad, especially for those constantly asking when will the next chapter be released. Just consider this chapter as a new year gift from me to you!

There were pretty much things going around that I can't even continue writing what I have started. I was even considering to not continue writing. However, my friends convinced me to continue writing as they're looking forward to reading the next chapter. And by the end of last year, I started writing again!

So... how do you like the first chapter? Please leave a comment and if you enjoyed the story, do not hesitate to vote! Thank you!

-Charm Leviosa-