Chapter 7

Daisy’s POV

“1900’s were a different period, a different life even, than the one you live in. There is no doubt when I can tell you that it would be near impossible for one person of either generation to try to settle into other. There was a whole different types of clothing, mannerisms and sources of entertainment. There were no cars or modern electric trains. The air was cleaner, but not much, as coal was major source of energy for any work. Girls were supposed to behave in a ‘civilized’ way, which is snobbishly in modern terms while living under the harsh eye of society. There was a lot of backstabbing and gossiping and even one small slight was enough to ruin family reputation. The men on the other hand were supposed to work in clean socially favourable jobs in the day. Society didn’t care if these supposedly ‘gentlemen’ later into eve-teasing hooligans. It was a really sexist period. I always knew about all these things but I didn’t care. It often gave my father a bit of a headache with me but his position of power, as a wealthy merchant, helped him. We had many servants, including a stablehand, Mr Cullingham, and he had a son, my best friend Samuel.” A sharp intake of breath breaks me out of the reverie as I turn to stare at Nick who stares at me in shock with his face pale as death. I haven’t even begun and he is already shocked so severely. Poor kid. “Nick, our way of speaking was often different. We used words you folks wouldn’t. To help you understand though, I would just switch words, alright? Now…” I added with a sharp glance at him. “… don’t interrupt me.”

With that, the words that hung in the air around me consume me and I remember all those memories of the past, feeling myself go back in time to when I was alive and well. And then I begin to speak. But I hear no words. Because I live these memories that I haven’t revisited for so long even as I narrate them to Nick.

“Careful, Samuel!” I warn him before a startled yelp escapes my mouth as I stare at the eight year old stupid boy climb the exterior of the house with only his bare hands and almost slip to death. I mean, he didn’t even ask for help by anyone. Even I was smart enough to know he would need help. Stupid boys.

“Princess, if you disturb me one more time, I will jump willingly.” He warned me and I was tempted to push his buttons a little more. Knowing him, though, I knew he would jump just to spite me and considering that he was almost at attic level of the house, I doubted he would survive without something to cushion the fall. After seeing me quiet, he added just to make his point. “Now let me get the little bird from the roof that you wanted to save.” He put extra emphasis on ‘you’, pointing out how it was for me.

“Yeah, like it isn’t without a cost.” I mutter just loud enough for him to know I spoke but not understand the words. He turns his head sharply to glare at me and I send him a sweet smile. He shakes his head at my action. Good, he knows it is fake. The fake smile melts into real excitement as he finally reaches the bird at the roof. He mutters something at it, something I doubt is positive about me, as he carefully settles it on his right arm. And then he starts the even slower descent downwards.

There are moments when just when you think the dangerous act went well without an issue when something bad happens. In this case, it was the arrival of my nanny, Mrs Collins. “Ms McCain, it is time for your lessons now.” Her voice was nasal and Samuel often made fun of her. Those two didn’t get along ever. He spoke a word so crude that I stared up at him in shock. How did the Lord not strike him down right then? Mrs Collins noticed that my gaze was not on her anymore and continued as she walked towards me. ”Pray tell me, what are you staring at up there – Oh my! HELP!” She screamed as she saw him trying to climb down from the window sill of the first floor and he fell. I screamed as well when he fell on his side and I heard a sickening crack.

I imagined several grotesque scenes when he screamed in pain and none of them were helping me dispel the faint feeling I was having. Chef Mason and Mr Cullingham came running from the kitchens and the stables respectively as they heard us all screaming. Mr Cullingham spoke something in a low voice that I didn’t catch and immediately turned to help Samuel. Mr Mason turned to us and asked in a worried voice. “Are you two alright?” We responded with simple ‘yes’ before he escorted us inside the house.