A Cute Clown- Arianna

"What do you think is going to happen?" Dorcas asked excitedly as we sat in our dorm. It had been almost half an hour since we came back from the common room, and we were all still brimming with excitement.

"I don't know." I said from where I was lying on my bed, my book in hand. "Detention for a few months, I think."

"A few months?" Alice asked, sounding slightly alarmed. "Isn't that a bit much?"

"Hey, its better than them being mentally scarred for life- which is what would've happened if the girls and I had gone with our original plan!" I exclaimed. "So as far as I'm concerned, they should count their blessings."

Alice opened her mouth to say something, but the sound of someone bounding up the stairs interrupted her. The sound was accompanied by-

"Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!"

"Isn't that...?" Dorcas began.

"Lily." I said in amazement, as I quickly sat up. "I've never heard her curse before."

"Given the situation, her cursing might not be a good thing." Dorcas warned, moving towards the door to open it. Lily burst through the door, wide-eyed and frantic, causing Alice and I to get up as well.

"What's wrong?" Alice, Dorcas, and I seemed to ask at the same time.

It took Lily a few moments to get her breath back. "Expelled." she panted. I looked at the other girls in confusion. They looked just as baffled.

"Come again?" Dorcas asked with a frown, moving closer to Lily to hear her better. The redhead glared at her.

"I said," she began. "the Marauders have been expelled!"

There was complete silence as that sunk in. Then we let out simultaneous shrieks that could have made a banshee proud.

"We have to tell McGonagall the truth!" Alice exclaimed. We all nodded, and thundered down the stairs. The people sitting in the common room stared as we practically fell over in our haste to get out of the portrait hole.

While we were running down the corridor, my mind raced with a million half-formed thoughts. A feeling of guilt like I had never known before seemed to hit me over and over again.

It wasn't supposed to be this way! They weren't supposed to be expelled!

Did we just ruin four lives?

Everything that had happened since that morning seemed to flash in my mind at the speed of lightening- until my mind screeched to a halt at one particular instance-

"Little Red, make her listen to us! This is all a big misunderstanding."

I stopped in my tracks as realization struck me. "Wait!" I yelled at the girls- who hadn't even noticed that I wasn't with them anymore. They skidded to a stop, and turned back to look at me with confusion.

"Arianna, we have to hurry!" Lily yelled, the girls already making their way towards me.

"He didn't blame me." I said. They stared at me like I was mad.

"What?"

I sighed in frustration. "Think about it." I said, as they reached me. "Put yourself in the Marauders place. If you were in a prank war with someone, and suddenly contraband you have never seen before turned up in your trunk, what would you do?"
"Assume that my enemy did it!" Dorcas exclaimed, finally getting it. "Merlin's beard!"

"Oh, they're good." I said, shaking my head in amazement. "They almost had me going for a minute there."

"Can someone please explain!" Alice said in exasperation.