Chapter 21: Unbelievable

TRAVIS'S POV

Mom, dad, and I made it to the hospital in about 20 minutes. Chris and the EMTs made it in 5 or 10. Everyone else came one after another once I was there. It had been 15 minutes since I've heard anything about Abi. This is seriously torturing me. She may possibly be taken away from me again. Permanently. No clean slates. No starting over. Nothing. She would be in Heaven and gone until I met her at the pearly gates. I couldn't bare it.

"She'll be alright, Travis," Erik said with a sympathetic smile, "She's tough and you know it. She's probably too stubborn to die, anyway. Besides, Chris caught her dad in the middle of the act, not hours later in the middle of the field."

"You don't understand, man," I replied, "I finally get a chance to be with her again, and her dad wants to screw it up for me!?! I won't stand for it! I'm not gonna-"

"Is the family of Abigail White here," the doctor asks. Thank God! We all ran up to the doctor like this was a football huddle before the big game against Eufaula High School.

"Biological family," he sighed.

"Mr. Johnston, anything you can say to the biological family can be said to her friends, too, because I probably won't have the guts to repeat it," Hunter said. Then the doctor began to talk.

"Fine, but I'm only going to say this once, so listen up. Now, before I begin, this doesn't need to be spread around wherever you guys go to school. I'm sure you all love drama, but this isn't the kind of drama that needs to be spread. Now, Abigail has suffered major blood loss because of her wounds. She is also suffering from head injuries, several lacerations on both hips, and even internal bleeding. She'll have to be put through surgery as soon as possible, and a lot of blood is needed. When she wakes up from this, she may experience migraines and a lot of pain in her hips. She may even go through stages of stress, fear, anxiety, panic, and even depression. And depending on how bad it is, she may even go through Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder for a long period of time."

My ears were killing me. I started to have a splitting head ache. That man had hurt Abi that bad!?! This wasn't going to do for me. I wanted to beat that man to a pulp. Hunter thanked the doctor for the information before he left and went to perform Abi's surgery. All of the girls were crying by now, even most of the guys were either crying or had their heads in their hands. How bad would Abi be when she got out of surgery? Would she be okay? Would her dad go to jail for this? Would she be the same Abi I've known and loved my entire life?

At about 11:30 that night, most everyone went home to get some rest and to come back in the morning. The only ones left were my family, Abi's brothers, and Tucker and his family. The doctor came from the hallway with blood all over his coat. Abi's blood. I wanted to throw up my own blood right in the middle of that hospital waiting room.

"How is she, doctor," Hunter asked.

"Well, there was no damage to the brain thankfully. All of her lacerations have been sewn up, the internal bleeding was taken care of, there's no signs of a concussion, and she's receiving blood as we speak. But, I would like to ask about old bruises over newer ones."

"Our father's been evil to Abi ever since our mom died," Chris chocked out, "She was in an accident with her. The EMTs saved Abi, but they weren't able to save our mom. And our dad... likes to take it out on her... he'll get wasted every night or just be downright mad and..."

"I see. Domestic violence is a major issue in the United States, but not one that's voiced very often. Although, there is one problem with Abi."

"What's that," I asked.

"Abi is... uh... in a coma..."

Unbelievable.

Another chapter done! Writer's block must hate me right now because ideas keep popping into my head while I'm on Netflix lol. Anyway, I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! And stay tuned for the next one! Express your love for this story however you like! And God Bless! :)