{four}

Daniel's p.o.v

The station was hectic with moving bodies, my team scrambling to follow the proper procedure.

"We talked to the authorities in Lindin. They called the CID," Officer Marshall informed, a manila folder in his hands. I nodded in response, and turned to give instructions.

"Listen up, people. Our only job from here on out is to wait for the Criminal Investigation Department to tell us who we're looking for. They'll need our help tracking down suspects," I scanned the room with my eyes, looking at all of their stressed expressions.

"You can breath easy for now until I give further orders, so stop acting as if you've all seen a ghost. You're on the police force for God's sake, grow some balls."

I knew it was harsh, but I've discovered over the years that I lack empathy, and therefore don't give a shit about their feelings.

"When they get here, we'll send the evidence with them. Make sure you fill them in on everything," I emphasized, speaking to officer Marshall without making eye contact– something I'm good at.

"Will do, Sir."

With that, I left the station, considering all we could do was wait. I was prepared to handle my personal affairs, meaning I was going to look for Tyler.

I'd called the town realtor, (we only have one), and found out where he lives.
She was hesitant to tell me, until I said that it was for our investigation, at which point the address practically leapt from her mouth.

I knew exactly what house she was talking about. It's a small, crooked structure that'd been abandoned for years, which had made it cost next to nothing. I pass it everyday when I'm driving to the bar.

Now, I was hopping in my pick up truck, the door making a popping noise as I slammed it due to the rust around the hinges.

My curiosity only grew as I sped down dirt road, thinking about Tyler and gripping the worn steering wheel even tighter.
Why was such an ethereal man in our town? These hollow grounds didn't deserve him.
And why had he fled so suddenly? That was one thing I absolutely needed to know.

Pebbles hit the sides of my truck as I accelerated, dust swirling in the air and entering my truck. The AC didn't work, which I suppose is what I get for buying a $300 vehicle. My windows always had to be rolled down or I'd fry.

Then the little house came into view, standing alone on the side of the road. Seeing it made me feel sad for some reason, probably because I knew that it must've once been someone's prized possession.
But time will do that to things; turn something great into something forgotten.

I let this thought come and go, the tires of my truck rolling over the small mound in front of the shack-like house. There was no drive way, like most of the houses in town, so I settled for parking a small distance away in the long grass.

Opening the car door, I stepped out into the blazing sun. Sweat trickled down the side of my face, either from the sun, or how determined I was to talk to Tyler.

I neared the house, seeing just how broken down it really was.

There was no way the pretty-faced boy was living here!

The screen door was barely hanging onto the frame, the mesh ripped down the middle. I lifted a fist and knocked on the door, seeing that almost all of its paint had been worn away and left the rotting, splintered wood exposed.

Nothing happened for a while, until I knocked a second time.

Movement came from inside, the sound of something falling accompanied by footsteps. I rose an eyebrow, crossing my arms when the house fell silent again.

Someone was home.
The curtains behind the dirty window were pulled aside for a moment, then quickly shut.

"LCPD, open up!" I shouted, getting annoyed and pounding on the door with such force I thought for sure it'd break.

On the final knock, it creaked open, just enough for a pair of frightened eyes to peek out.

"Oh. H-hi Daniel," an angelic voice greeted. I knew that voice. It was Tyler.

"Can you open the door?" I attempted to speak softly, knowing he was skittish. He made a hum of agreement and opened it wider.

Now I could see his full body, light-wash jeans on his legs and a stained t-shirt to match the effortless look.
His tan skin was gleaming with perspiration from the hot climate, and there were purple circles under his eyes that told me he was tired.

"Are you ok?" Was the first question that I asked, trying not to stare too long at his disheveled appearance.

"M-me? I'm fine. What about you? what, um, brings you here?" He asked with a forced smile, clutching the door with one hand to make sure it remained half closed.
I was getting the impression he had a hard time trusting people.

"Sorry I startled you, I'm a bit impatient. I just needed to ask you a few things," I answered, my thumbs situated in my pockets.

He nodded, maintaining the fake smile from earlier. "Of course, ask away."

I attempted to look past him and see what the interior of the house was like, but he blocked whatever was behind him. I waited for him to show some southern hospitality and ask me to come inside, but he never did.

"After running off last night, the least you could do is invite me in," I joked with my most charming smile, although it wasn't completely a joke.

His face paled and his smile flattened.
"I don't think that's a good idea. Can't y-you ask me your questions out here?" He squeaked, not sounding at all rude because of his naturally soft tone, even though he wasn't exactly being the most welcoming.
I pursed my lips, trying not to seem disappointed.

I don't know what it was about Tyler, but he was the only person I couldn't be an asshole to.
"I mean, you're the chief of police, so I guess you can come in if you want to," He mumbled undecidedly, returning to hiding behind the door.

As much as I wanted to accept his offer, I knew that for whatever reason, he didn't actually want me to come inside.

"That's ok, I wouldn't want to impose," I watched as he nodded, slight relief in his expression, then continued.
"It's not official police business anyway, I'm off duty."

His nerves seemed to settle even more at this, and he allowed himself to loosen his grip on the door.

"I'm sorry Daniel. If this isn't official police business, I think you should go," he caught me off guard with this.
I didn't have time to get another word in before he shut the door in my face. I flinched, taking a step back with a frown.

If it was anyone else, I'd bust the door down and show them that I leave when I'm good and ready, not because they want me to. And anyone else in the town would know not to slam a door in my face.

But this was Tyler.
Somehow, he was incapable of getting on my bad side, and I had no desire to put him in his place.

The only thing I felt was the sting of rejection, and a fire that burned inside me. It was a fire that fueled my need to know Tyler.

As I walked back to my car, there was only one thing on my mind:

With or without Tyler's help, I was going to know him.