Prologue

Jess

Thou shall not covet her best friend's boyfriend.

I never had a problem following that rule until I met Logan Jacobs. Now, it seems it's a rule I can't stop breaking. Take right now, for instance. I'm dancing with Logan in the packed nightclub in the hopes that the creep who keeps hitting on me will back off. It should be an innocent dance. And it is – from Logan's side. But from mine? My heart races every time our eyes meet. I enjoy the feel of his hands on my hips too much. Then, there's the heat that stirs low in my belly every time I imagine pressing my body against his.

I'm attracted to Logan, and I've never felt worse about anything in my life.

Logan looks over my shoulder and smiles. I don't need to turn around to know that he's smiling at my best friend. Not only is Logan gorgeous – a blond Adonis in the flesh – but he's also smart. Smart enough to know that my best friend in the entire world is the complete package. Finally, Kristy found one of the good guys. And I think that's what I like most about Logan; the way he treats my friend. The way he adores her. Seeing the way Logan and Kristy act together makes me long for a deeper connection than I've experienced before.

Makes me long for him.

I keep smiling and dancing with Logan, waiting for Kristy to join us, but I stop moving as soon as she walks up to us and I see the expression on her face. She's staring at Logan and me as though we just ripped her heart out.

"Kristy!" I take my hands off Logan and step away from her man. "Logan said you were looking for me. Sorry, I was dancing with some douche who couldn't keep his hands to himself. When I saw Logan, I asked him to dance with me so the guy would leave me alone. I hope you don't mind."

Without any encouragement or provocation on my part, her past two boyfriends both made a pass at me, so perhaps the hurt and insecurity in her expression are to be expected. But it doesn't make the betrayal she feels any less shocking or hurtful. I can understand why she's challenged to trust Logan, but she should trust me. Even if I do have feelings for Logan, and I was just fantasizing about him, I would never let anything happen between him and I. He could be the last man on earth, and I'd never touch him. Not when my friendship with Kristy is at stake. I value her friendship above everything else. She's the only person who matters to me, and she should know that.

After a moment, Kristy breathes a sigh and nods. Thank God. She remembers I'm on her side – that she's my rock and I'm hers. At least, I used to be her rock. Now, I suspect that honour belongs to Logan.

"It's fine," she says, putting her hand on my arm to reassure me. "But are you okay? I saw Alfie dancing with someone else."

I tear my eyes away from her to look at Alfie. My ex-fiancé as of tonight. Not that Kristy knows his new status in life just yet. Our break-up happened half an hour after we arrived at the club. Watching Alfie dancing with a girl in a too-tight skirt and top, his hands roaming over her hips, butt and thighs, I wish I felt something more than a brief stab of disappointment. Unfortunately, my feelings for Alfie – like every man I've dated before him – are apathetic at best.

Did I want to believe it could be different with Alfie? That I could let myself go and surrender to the madness of falling in love? Yes, but that was because for a short time I thought we might be having a baby together. Before the plane had even touched down in Melbourne, I knew him leaving Italy to come home with me had been a mistake. I should have told him then that I'd changed my mind about our relationship, but I was weak. And then he was company for me while Kristy spent time with Logan.

I lift a shoulder and smile at Kristy, showing her I'm not hurt. "Easy come, easy go. He's free to play."

Her warm blue eyes are full of concern and confusion. "But, Jess, you're engaged!"