Chapter 1: Garrison

My name is Hajime. 18. I grew up in a family which im not blood related to. They treated me like a real one. They said that they saw me on the side of our village, picked me up, then they saw a nametag saying "Shigeki Hajime." Now, enough of the past. Rightnow, I am currently on my only friend, Oda Yamazaki's house.

"Shigeki Hajime from Niji District. I will join the Garrison to defend and serve the country."

" You'll say it that way? Are you even trying?"

"Shut up! Is that the way you support me?"

With my best friend Yamazaki, I will join the Garrison.

"Jime, I gotta go. See you tomorrow on the capital district," Zaki hastly said.

     The next day, I woke up early for the capital district is 50 kilometers away from our district. I bid farewell to Mom and Dad and I will really miss them so much. I told them that I will send letters to tell them that I'm doing great as a Garrison Soldier.

     There are two military organizations in this country. The Military Police and the Garrison. The Garrison are the soldiers who guard the walls, defend the people, and hunt Bestials. This is where I want to join. Each of them receive their own special weapons called Relics. The risk of being killed by the Bestials are still high.

     The Military Police on the other hand are soldiers who work under the King. Hence, they are royal knights. Unlike the Garrison, they live in a luxurious place and they are not being sent to hunt Bestials. They don't wield any weapon. Their one and only job is to work on the royal palace.

     Most of the applicants join the Garrison. I will join Garrison to achieve my dream, to find the legendary and the very first Relic made: The Book Relic. This Relic was made by the first King during the First War of the Eastern Continent. It has the secrets of this continent that are yet to be revealed. I want to go outside these walls and search for it. I will reunite the nine countries and revive the first kingdom of the East Continent.

     Going out of the walls is prohibited. That's why I will get stronger to prove that I can handle it.

introduction ceremony:

     Right now, I'm starting to get nervous. I am the next one to introduce.

     Our instructor is very strict. Some arevforced to quit because the instructor doesn't want their attitude, or the reason they joined is meaningless.

"Next! Who are you and why did you joined the Garrison?" The instructor asked to the person beside me, Yamazaki. He's not tremulous at all!

He answered with a normal tone, "Oda Yamazaki from Niji District. I joined 'cos I want to get stronger to defend the country."

Instructor: You pass! Next! Who are you and what made you join the Garrison?

"Sir! Shigeki Hajime from Niji District."
I said fiercefully.

Instructor:  Same as this guy? *points out Yamazaki* "

Hajime:  Yes Sir! We're actually best pals

"Good. You pass. Next!"

     Huh? Why did he skipped the 'reason' part?

"You're thinking about why he didn't asked the reason you joined right? I can see it on your face." Yamazaki said.

     It is true that he can read my thoughts. He always says that I'm an openbook. Well that's true.

the next day; after taking the written test:

"Out of the 200 takers, only almost half of it passed. It's such a disapointment. Now those who failed, get your selves out of here and never show your faces here ever again!" The Instructor's loud voice spreaded throughout the hall.

"Don't you think the Instructor's too contemptuous?" I asked

Yamazaki answered, "Jime, being a soldier is not all about  physical strength."

"Zaki, you got 99 out of 100 right?"

"Yeah."

"That's so cool of you! I barely got the passing score!"

"Well, let's go out and drink."

same day; 8pm:

"Starting tomorrow, we will have the main thing: the physical training! This is the hardest part of the training. Group yourselves according to the type of training: Swordsman, Sniper, Tank, or Mage. After a year of training, each one will have their Relics. However, if you don't match one, you'll have to train for a year again. Now then, salute to the skies and get ready for tomorrow!"

     Day after day, night after night, the training became harder and harder. Mom, Dad, I wonder what you're doing right now. Just wait and see, I'm going to become a fine soldier!

After a year of harsh training, the 54th batch of new Garrison soldiers are now to receive their own Relics that should be with them for forever. And after that they will have their own teammates that will be with them until the last.

Continued on the next chapter.
The Yamazaki Squad