4. Simon

Double update (please don't shut off internet)

Chapter 4

Simon

"I'm hungry," Kailani whined. "And tired. I just want to lay in my bed."

I sighed. "Would it be rude to say that I miss thinking I was an only child?"

"Yes."

"Well, then stop whining. We'll get out of the forest soon."

"Can we at least take a break?" Kailani asked. "My ankle is a bit sore from tripping on the log."

I looked over at Hailey, who shrugged. "I highly doubt they're close enough anyway, otherwise we would have already been back at the facility," she said. "We can take a short break."

"Thank goodness," Kailani said as she sat down against a tree. "And now I'm cold. I wish Heath was here."

"Heath?" Hailey asked.

"The fire elemental," Kailani said. "He would have been able to start a fire in no time."

Hailey and I sat down as well. "Yeah, I wish he was here too," I said. "It is getting a bit chilly and I don't want to sleep out here again. I wasn't even able to sleep anyway."

"Oh, I was, because the grass is much more comfy than those stupid lofts," Kailani said. "I just hope we get out of here soon. We've already been in the forest for a day and it's so boring. It's making me miss Lincoln even more. We would have been able to make me laugh or smile or anything to keep me entertained."

"This Lincoln is the earth elemental, right?" Hailey asked and Kailani nodded. "How long have you known him?"

"All my life," Kailani said. "Literally. I was left at his doorsteps when I was a few days old. And Heath we've known since kindergarten. I guess the three of us were just drawn together because of the elementals, which might actually explain Wendy and Lincoln going out."

"Huh," I said. "I just realized I'm dating my twin sister's boyfriend's ex-girlfriend."

"You just realized that?" Kailani asked. "You first met us when they were dating."

"I know, but it doesn't really seem like they did," I said. "They don't have that connection you two have."

"True," Kailani said. "And you and Wendy actually have a....wait for it....spark."

"Ha ha, you're hilarious," I said with an eye roll.

"Thank you, thank you," Kailani said.

"So you two are both dating the person you're bounded to?" Hailey asked. "Please don't tell me that means I'm going to end up with that Heath guy."

Kailani shrugged. "You never know. But Heath is a really sweet guy. A bit weird, but he's sweet. You two just might have a....flame."

"Oh my goodness, stop with the puns," I said. "Besides, you probably can't even think of one for you and Lincoln."

"Oh, really?" Kailani asked. "Because I do remember him making my world....shake."

"I don't get that one."

"Uh, shake. Earthquake. Something Mr. Jealous Head does all the time?"