Chapter Thirteen: A Restless Night

Twenty-Two years old

December, The flat, London

It was quiet. Deafeningly so. 

Her pale, freckled shoulder was peeking out from underneath the duvet and her gorgeous red hair was sprawled over the pillow. Her eyes would flicker every couple of minutes, remnants of shimmery makeup still present from the night before. 

Charlie was awake, and was staring at the ceiling. He ran his hand through his hair a few times before quietly getting up and pacing up and down the living room. He glanced at the clock - one o'clock, morning, and he'd barely slept a wink.

He gave a weary sigh as he faced his reflection in the bathroom mirror. 

"What are you doing?" he muttered to himself, "you have to tell her. She'll find out sooner or later,"

*          *          *

It was quiet. Deafeningly so.

She noticed how his bottom lip stuck out slightly as he slept and how his face had a permanent look of exhaustion. It was as though it was his little secret; when he slept, the mask slipped and his tiredness shone through.

She sighed and looked at the digital clock on the bedside table - three o'clock, morning, and she'd barely slept a wink.

She slowly padded across the floor, tentatively shutting the door behind her, and made her way into the bathroom. She noticed the smears of makeup around her eyes, gave a tut, and turned on the tap to wash her face.

Her face dripping from water, she clung to the sink and looked into her own green eyes in the mirror.

"You have to tell him, Lily. You can't go on like this."