Prologue

The room was filled with wailing and tear-filled eyes. Dark clouds hung low outside the window, as if they knew that something sad happened today. People in black kept on asking if I was okay, patting my knee and telling me, "your mother was a lovely person. Your being so brave."

I didn't think I was. Brave was being like the heroes in my books, saving the princess from the dragon. I hadn't done any of that.

I sat on the lounge of my family's library, swinging my legs to do something. There was nothing for me to do here. The room was filled with gown ups and Nanny Smith told me to be on my best behaviour. She said it would help Pappa in this difficult time. But why was it difficult? Why was everyone so upset.

Had something happened to Mamma? That's the only thing I could make out. She was gone and she was never coming back.

I played with the black woollen stockings that covered my short legs and the frills of my black tutu that stopped at my mid thighs. My curly blonde hair was braided and tired into a bun, keeping it off my face and out of my eyes.

I hated this room. Everything was too big and hard to get to.

Bookcases covered the walls as a fireplace heated up the room. The room itself was quite large, fitting two big lounges, an arm chair and a desk that Mamma used to write her letters. On sunny days, light flooded from the two large rectangle windows that sat between the bookcases. But today, it wasn't sunny.

My eyes landed on the emotionless figure that was my father. He stood with a glass of whisky in his pale hands, his eyes glassy and red. He barely took notice of the man next to him who tried to offer what help he could.

"Clearly this is a tough time for you Nicholas. I won't be heartless in not seeing the pain," the man started, clutching his shoulder, "but we mustn't forget this threat. We know, your wife's death was no accident."

"You don't need to remained me, Oscar," Pappa growled, his voice harsher than I had ever heard it, "I was there, remember. I held her in my arms. I know."

"Nicholas, don't speak to me as if I do not know what you are going through because I do. I've been where you are. I've watched love ones die. That is why we need to act now."

"How do you expect we do that?" Pappa hissed, finally looking at the man, "the only way to rid this world of him is to kill him, before he gets too powerful."

"Or drive him underground," the man suggested with a darkness in his eyes that made me shiver.

"How do you suggest we do that?" Pappa growled.

The man was silent for a moment, before cupping both my father's shoulders, forcing Pappa to look at him.

"To join our ancient families."

Pappa scoffed, pulling back, "that is ridiculous. Patrick is only fifteen and Lizzy is no older than six."

"We will wait till she's twenty-one. By then, Patrick would have already taken over my empire and Lizzy would have turned into a beautiful young woman. Even the possible thought of uniting our families will drive that bastard underground."

"I don't know, Oscar," my Pappa said, shaking his head, "she's all that I have of her mother. You can not expect me to give her up without a second thought."

"I'm not asking you to give her up. I'm asking you to think of her future if not your own. She's already lost her mother. Don't let her loose her father as well."

At that, my father looked up and met my eyes. His whole body seemed to relax as a sad smile appeared on his face. I tried to match it, but I just couldn't.

Everything was sad. Shouldn't I be too.

"Lizzy, my darling, come here," Pappa said kneeling down to my height and holding out his hand.

I ran into his arms, wrapping my arms around his warm neck.

"Pappa, are you going to give me away?" I asked, hugging him tighter.

I felt his head shake, causing my eyes to squeeze shut.

"No, my darling, never."

Tears started to fall from my eyes, hearing the lie in his voice.

"Don't send me away, Pappa. I promise I'll be good," I told him, hiccuping.

"Lizzy, look at me."

I pulled back at my father's request looking into his big sad eyes.

"Wipe your tears," he told me.

I nodded, wiping them on the sleeve of my black cardigan.

"Good girl," Pappa praised, "do you remember the heroes in the books that Mamma reads to you before you go to sleep?"

I hummed a yes, my throat too tight to talk.

"Well, I need you to be brave like those heroes, okay. Can you do that for me?" He asked.

"Y-yes, I-I think s-so," I hiccuped, not believing that I could be.

He smiled, nudging my nose with his before standing. I clung to his leg, not wanting him to be more than an inch away from me.

"I take that as a yes then," the man said holding out his hand.

I watched Pappa hesitate before he took it and gave it a good shake.

"If your sure that this will send him underground, then yes, I agree to it. Only for the sake of my family's wellbeing. Not yours," Pappa emphasis, causing a smile to spread on the man's face.

"I know, Nicholas. I wouldn't expect anything different from you."

HEY WATTPAD READERS!! THANKS FOR PICKING MY BOOK. I'M AIMING FOR LOTS OF VOTES AND COMMENTS SO PLEASE DO. GOOD OR BAD. THANKS!!!