Chapter 35

When Nickola and I walked back into the study, they were still at it.

"Okay, just because these five are known to the police doesn't mean they're the ones that shot at the casino or that there isn't more of them," Patrick stated, pacing as he thought.

"No, but it wouldn't be hard to find one and question them," Garrick told him.

Patrick nodded, rubbing his lip. I loved to watch him think. The way his brows came together and his eyes became dark with concentration. He became hidden in a shadow, in a world where no one could touch him.

"Is there any possibility that all they wanted to do was shoot at the casino?" Nickola asked, moving closer to the boys that surrounded the desk, watching their boss think.

The boys talked about it being a possibility but my gut wouldn't settle. All I kept thinking about was that one name that sent shivers down my spine.

Drago thought there should be one Mafia in New York, our Mafia. It was the strongest, the biggest and the most powerful. He had Harald Balboni on board and Paige Caivano was on the fence. My father was dead against it. He knew the importance of the other Mafias for our business and that taking them down would be starting World War lll

What about my father?

Your father was against it too. He worked hard to try and get the other families on board. He even spoke to the other Mafias, telling them about Drago's plan

How did they get rid of them? If this guy was as powerful as you say he was, he was clearly not going to go down without a fight. How did they get rid of him?

You still aren't getting it. Our marriage. The very idea of our families uniting was enough to send Drago underground. No one has heard for him since -

What if Oscar's plan didn't work? Drago had fifteen years to plan an attack on us. And what better way than to wait fifteen years and let Oscar and Pappa think that they had succeeded.

"Is there any chance that this could be related to Sebastian Drago?"

Patrick froze, his eyes darkening. I could feel his fury as if it was my own.

"No," he growled, angry that I had brought it up, "Drago has disappeared."

"Exactly, he's had fifteen years to plan something," I argued.

He shook his head not willingly to hear it. But the more I thought of it, the more it made sense.

"I mean, we were only married a few days before we were shot at. You said so yourself that our marriage threatened his plan over world domination."

"Eliza, enough," he ordered, taking two steps towards me.

The boys watched like hawks, remaining silent so not to provoke the beast more.

"It makes sense. My father had enemies, sure. But none that would profit from his death. Drago would."

"Eliza, enough!" He shouted this time, "everything that the two of us sacrificed couldn't have been for nothing."

"I'm not saying that, but we can't rule it out completely. It would make sense why all the other mercenaries aren't connected. You keep killing them all."

That won me a few snickers, none from Patrick. He turned around and started to pace, trying to stay in denial as long as possible.

First a click before the door to the study swung opened, almost hitting me in the process. I stumbled, almost loosing my footing before Nickola took ahold of my arm.