Sweet Ophelia - Ardyn Izunia

[Warnings: Suicide!]

This oneshot is really angsty. I really wanted to explore Ardyns past a bit more while also giving him a bittersweet ending, like Noctis had. Forgive me. Female Reader.

Ophelia

Ophelia is a character in William Shakespeare's play Hamlet. In Act 4 Scene 7, Queen Gertrude reports that Ophelia had climbed into a willow tree and the branch had broken and dropped Ophelia into the brook, where she drowned.

-

Sweet Ophelia

When young blood escapes

The pain was too much for one little insignificant mortal woman to be carried. Heart heavy as lead, you could do naught but watch the very man you loved oh so dearly, as he fell into the darkness he had once fought against with all his might.

Ere the two of you had changed eyes he had still been the pure light that had saved your tainted soul from the arduous call of the void.

But his blessing was a curse in disguise – threatening to tear him apart as his mind was shattered to pieces by the very people he had once called his own blood, stealing not only his good name, but every piece of life inside of him.

Demonized by a haughty and heinous man, now sitting on the throne, the King had burned his own hateful words into the minds of the common folk. Turning the man standing beside you into a man appalled by his own blighted  existence.

An existence he had wanted to end so badly, but there was no escape from the bounds of his now immortal body. The only little light keeping a flicker of humanity in him was the fragile [s/c] hand holding his as it slowly ran over his bruised knuckles.

And soon their barren words were turned onto you - as you were his little callet.

They tortured his mind and body - amercing agonizing punishment to the very man who had saved their own people, their children, from a fate no one deserved.

Their stinging words towards you were though, more agonizing than any stab or pain he could bear any longer.

And so, he had left you behind.

Fleeing from the very borders of the land he had once called his beloved home.

Vows that break

Go up, up away

He had never returned.

Many years you had been waiting for him. To hold his hand in yours once more.

But it was not meant to be.

The gods were surely looking down at you in spite.

Placing a bundle of rue onto the very spot your eyes had first met his before you climbed the cold stone under your naked feet to stand over the sweeping dark waters of the brook running under the bridge.

Closing your eyes you took your last step - embracing the stinging cold arms of the waves below.

Go up, up away

"What will you do?"

The rightful King was kneeling next to his beaten body, watching as his breath slowed down.

"Erase me form history once more?" He asked, the corners of his lips lifting. As he send one last pained smile towards the King above him.

"Close your eyes, forever more."

With a smile he closed his tired eyes before his mind was freed from the shackles of his immortal body – welcoming the darkness as a long awaited friend.

Go up, up away

White, blinding light illuminated the darkness around him. Opening his amber eyes he was greeted by the very room he had been waiting patiently in before the King of Kings had finally arrived to bring an end to his story.

But the damage he had done was gone, instead the banners around were blowing with a gentle breeze as he could feel the warm rays of sunshine through the colored windows on the high walls, falling onto the countless shining marble steps leading up to the throne that sat at the heart of the room.

And on those very steps, a piece of him was waiting – a piece he had hath lost, oh so long ago.

Slowly he walked towards the figure waiting for him in front of the throne, longing tugging at his heart as he saw the shining [h/c] hair dance with the wind.

Turning around before him was the woman he had longed for centuries – just as beautiful as she had been on the day he had left her.

Reaching out her hand for his to take, he intertwined his fingers with hers, before her eyes met his as he lost himself in her peaceful smile as his mind finally felt at peace.

"Welcome home."

Sweet Ophelia

Go up, up away