Chapter 47

Kelsey's Point of View:

It had been about a week since I had last seen Justin, and if I was being completely honest, I missed him. I missed waking up next to him in the morning, finding him lurking around the house in search for the keys he's misplaced. I missed the smell of his aftershave and his cologne mixed together. I missed when he would stand outside smoking, his chest bare to the cold air. I missed when he would pull me in tight and hold me for what felt like days when it was only a few minutes. I missed his eyes, his smile, his hair, the way his jaw did that thing that made me go weak in the knees... I missed everything about him, and sometimes I lay awake at night wondering if he missed me too.

"Kelsey!" Carly called from the other side of my bedroom door, startling me as I snapped out of it, my phone clenched in the palm of my hand. It had been a bit over a day now since he had last called me, and to say I was worried would be an understatement. I was absolutely petrified about what was going on because I wasn't there with him.

"I'm coming!" I called back, stuffing my phone away in the back pocket of my jeans. I had promised we would go out for lunch today being that our classes were cancelled, and even if I wasn't up to it, it was the least I could do.

I needed to get my mind off of things.

Grabbing my jacket, I opened my door, walking down the hall and into the living room where I found Carly standing, her foot impatiently tapping against our hardwood floors. When her blue eyes caught sight of me, she exasperatedly threw her arms in the air. "Finally!" She cried out while reaching forwards and grabbing my arm, pulling me blindly behind her as she forced me out of the apartment.

"I'm sorry?"

"What took you so long? I told you an hour ago to get ready," Carly let me go, unlocking the doors to her car as we both situated ourselves inside.

Pulling my seatbelt on, I relaxed comfortably against the leather seats, "we got back from school not even half an hour ago, Carly."

Pausing mid-sentence from continuing on her little tirade, she pouted, her shoulders falling slightly, "same thing," she waved her hand dismissively, making sure to turn the car on as she reversed out of the parking slot and onto the street.

Rolling my eyes, I sighed, looking out of the window, my elbow resting near the door handle as I pushed my chin onto my closed fist. Watching the trees go by, I felt an aching begin to form in my chest. Seeing all these kids running innocently through the streets playing tag caused a deep frown to crease between my brows, my own lips soon following suit.

They had no care or worries in the world. They were free to do as they pleased without any lift threatening consequences. They didn't have to force themselves to stay away from the one they loved. They didn't have the world on their shoulders, and it killed me inside to know that the innocence they carried would eventually be ripped away from them just like it had been taken away from me.

"Kelsey?" Carly shook my arm a bit, startling me out of my own thoughts as I turned around to face her.

"Huh?" I blinked. "What happened?"

"You totally zoned out there for a second..." she trailed off, a knowing look I had grown accustomed to crossing her eyes before licking her lips, "are you okay?"

Taking a moment to try and recollect my thoughts, I laughed humorlessly to myself. It was a simple question yet it had so many answers. "I don't know."

"Kelsey-"

"What would you do without John?" I absentmindedly questioned, moving my body around a fraction so that I didn't have to crane my neck as much, curious to see what she would say-though I already had an idea.