World 4 Level 3- Heroes' Nightmares, Part Two

Bandana Dee wandered through the cavern nervously, jumping at every little sound and swinging his spear at nothing. He was a brave Waddle Dee, sure. But even a brave Waddle Dee is still not a lion-heart.

I sure wish I was at home. Me and Kirby could prank the king, Sakura could read to us, we could eat shortcake. It'd all be good. But no. We have to go on this dumb quest.

Yet another stalactite dripped a drop of water onto the floor, and he jumped about four feet in the air for the third time in as many minutes. Just water, just water, he thought, taking deep breaths. I wonder if the others have made it out yet? I'm hope I'm not the last one out... Kirby'd think I'm such a wimp.

He found a door. Oh, good, the exit, he relaxed and walked through, then couldn't believe his eyes when he appeared in the Waddle Dee sleeping room. He was so surprised, he dropped his spear.

What? How did I get here? Oh, well. I'm home! He gave a mental sigh of happiness and went to pick his spear back up, but it had disappeared. His head felt weird, too, so he reached up and felt his head. My bandana and spear! Where'd they go? he wondered, confused.

Suddenly his head was full of voices, all talking about chores and work and other boring stuff. Why on earth am I part of the one mind again?!? he panicked.

A Waddle Dee sweeping the sleeping shelves looked at him. You never quit being part of the one mind, it thought at him. Don't be ridiculous, now, why don't you go find some way to serve?

Uh-uh, no way, he disagreed, shaking his head hard. I'm not being a servant again!

Did you ever quit? the other asked, disbelieving.

This is really weird, Bandana Dee mentally muttered.

I'll say it is, another Waddle Dee agreed as it walked past carrying the king's lunch. Seeing a Waddle Dee not working is always really weird.

No, it's weird that I can hear you guys, Bandana argued, glaring at him. I got kicked out, and I sure don't want back in.

The other Waddle Dee shrugged. We practically never 'kick' anybody out, it disagreed. In fact, we're having someone rejoin us today after supper. Now go find someone to serve.

He felt less like disagreeing now, which was strange, but whatever. He waddled off and helped a few Waddle Dee who were washing some windows, why, he didn't know.

As the day went on, though, he became more and more frightened. Why am I not fighting? Why am I just doing all the chores? Why aren't I thinking out of the box anymore? he puzzled, then scared himself even more when he mentally answered with, Who cares? Just serve some more.

Even later, he was sent to take in the king's tea. When he accidentally dumped it all over the place because the king threw a fit, he didn't feel mad at the king for it. He just automatically went and got another cup of tea, then sat there patiently while he got reamed out for taking so long. What is wrong with you, dude?!? a tiny bit of him panicked, but the rest of him ignored that bit.

The final blow, though, came after supper. All the Waddle Dee had gathered in the sleeping quarters, excited. Even he felt sort of strangely happy, but that happiness disappeared when he saw who was coming back.

"I'm tired of fighting and being someone special," Sakura's voice came from the front of the room. "I'm hanging up my sword and abandoning my speech and Pink-Devourer-like powers. I want to serve with you all again." She threw the flower off her head onto the floor, and suddenly his head filled with cheers, including hers, now.