cheerleader

People asked me why I decided to be a cheerleader this year. I always tell them that it was my English teacher's motivational "it's your last year, do something memorable" speech that got me to do it. And I guess it really is what made me start.

Cheerleading is something I legitimately never imagined myself doing. It's such an awkward thing. It required coordination and pep, fortunately, I had 1/2 of those things. But now I'm actually extremely happy that I did it.

I first signed up for cheerleading with my best friend. We originally wanted to try out for this our sophomore year, but we backed out. *Before that, I also made a promise with another friend of mine freshman year to do this senior year (and I actually pulled through!).* When we finally did start senior year, she was better at it than I was, but I kept trying, because I wanted to be able to say that I actually participated in high school activities (aside from academic competitions and school clubs etc.). I may not be in the same terms with my friend, but we still have this as a link, and I'm glad we got to share this.

Aside from the experience from performing at pep rally and games, I got so much more than what I signed up for. I got to form bonds with girls that I never thought I'd be able to keep up a conversation with. I got to know some senior classmates even better. And probably the best thing I got out of cheerleading was meeting my incredible "coaches" aka cheer moms, and they continue to be big (and the bad) influences in my life. LOL! They are the reasons I stayed in cheerleading. #JawBreakers

And I'm glad I didn't quit every time I said I would (after ever cardio exercise), because this made me happy. It gave me something to do after school. It also made me feel more confident, cheering with an entire squad of pretty ass girls. It made me feel apart of something, and this isn't something you can get out of science fairs and math competitions.

I'm honestly a terrible cheerleader, but I'm proud of myself for trying regardless of how crappy I was at it. I went from the girl that use to look at other girls cheering during pep rallies and thinking "ew, they look so weird, wtf are they wearing", to being one of them. Ha! It was something new to do; and unexpected from me (I've been told it was totally unexpected). But! It's my motherfucking senior year.

*Also, I really think that every girl (and guy) had a phase where they wanted to become cheerleaders after watching "Bring It On", and I did it!*