Chapter Three: Nobody's Going to Die Today

"Mom. We are out of Gogurts. Mom."

      "Mommy's at stowe," Sally called from the living room. I frowned as I gave the freezer one more look-over before shutting it. I left the kitchen and entered the living room to see my sister sitting on the couch, our rabbit, Makato, seated on her lap. She was watching a cartoon about some weird penguin yelling 'noot noot' every ten seconds.

      "Is that the last Gogurt?" I asked her, eyeing the frozen treat dripping its contents onto the coffee table in front of her. She nodded her head as she ran her sticky, yogurt-covered fingers through Makato's coffee-colored fur.

      "It gwoss. You have it."

      I picked up the thawed stick and licked the open end of it so that the yogurt would stop dripping down the side. I then laid down on the other end of the couch, resting my head on the armrest as I squeezed the rest of the strawberry yogurt onto my tongue. Sally soon let the rabbit go in order to curl up next to me, her eyes still glued to that stupid clay penguin on the television. I heard a quiet plop and watched as Makato quickly hopped away to another area of the house.

      It was Saturday evening, maybe around six, seven o'clock. Sally and I were home alone since Ma was out, and Mom was apparently at the grocery store. I was bored out of my mind and a bit tired, but I didn't feel like going to sleep. I kind of wanted a coffee, kind of wanted to play video games, and kind of wanted to jack off in my room all at the same time. That last 'kind of' was a definite no, though, since I was stuck babysitting my little sister. And I doubted she would let me turn the stupid penguin show off to let me play my X-box, either. I guess all that was left was coffee.

      "I'm gonna make some coffee," I told Sally, poking her in her side to get her to move. She swiped at my finger and rose from her spot to stand in front of me.

      "I have some?" she asked.

      "Absolutely not, you're too young," I said, pushing myself up from the couch as well.

      "Pleeeeasssse?" she begged, clasping her hands in front of her face while using her big, brown doe eyes to try and get me to cave in. What the hell, I thought, because I was a stupid sixteen year old in charge of a three year old kid, and nodded my head. She squealed excitedly, but I gave her a Look and said, " 'Long as you don't tell Mom or Ma, okay?"

      "Okay!" she agreed, already prancing towards the kitchen. I turned off the TV's volume so that I wouldn't have to hear that stupid 'noot noot' anymore before trailing after her. I grabbed the kettle on the stove and filled it with water before setting it back on the stove to boil.

      I wasn't that stupid of a teenager, though. I wasn't going to give the kid coffee coffee, just a crappy cappuccino, like my parents used to give me when I was her age and begged for a mug of my own 'adult juice.' I was never able to tell the difference between the two drinks at that age, so I doubted she could, either.

      "Frankie, we can listen to yours songs?" Sally asked while we waited for the water to boil.

      "What songs and by what band?" I asked, leaning against the counter.

      "The ones with the boys who sings. They sing nicely! And say my name."

      "Ooh," I said, remembering now. I was pretty sure she was talking about Blink-182's "I Miss You," considering that was the only song by one of my favorite bands that said her name. She always asked me to play or sing it for her when she couldn't fall asleep, and I never minded. I wanted to be sure we were thinking of the same song, though, just to be sure--and I wanted to make her sing in her own adorable way. "Um, which song? How does it go?"