15. Date me

Parents evening hit the school like a tsunami and the next day the aftershocks of it rippled through the school. It seemed like the place was in a state of shock as each of the boys slowly came to terms with either their failures or successes. Rumour had it that one sophomore, Edgar, had had his car taken away from him and another boy was being cut out of his grandmas will. The building seemed different too, like it was changed because outsiders had been let in. As if they'd changed the distinct magic Kings Bridge had because it was so secluded.

It wasn't just the place that had been effected, all the boys seemed to be still reeling from the bomb like impacts of the arrival of parents.

Everyone including Ben, he bombarded me the second I entered the dining hall with the Silent Boys.

"I want to apologise for my mom," he sighed, "she's a bit full on."

"She was really sweet," I swatted away his apology, "it's honestly fine, I think I'm going to enjoy my chats with her."

"Are you sure, I can tell her to back off if you want?" Ben seemed sincerely concerned.

"Of course not," I said firmly, "she was really nice, a little full on but I like that about her."

"You do?" Ben seemed stunned.

"I wouldn't say so if I didn't mean it," I gave him a look to show him that I wasn't pulling his leg.

"Oh, that's alright then," Ben still seemed surprised that I didn't hate his outgoing mom. I mean, I probably will hate her by the end of the week if she wants two hour long phone calls everyday.

"I think I'm going to become like your third sister," I teased with a smirk.

"Or you can just replace the other too," Bens disgust was obvious.

"I'll try my best," I laughed at him before heading off to grab a slice of toast for my breakfast.

At our table my eyes wandered over all the Silent Boys who were purposely avoiding meeting my eyes and who all looked thoroughly downtrodden after yesterday's events.

"What's up?" I demanded suddenly sick of all the uncomfortable silence. 

"What do you think?" Grey's voice was harsh making me flinch, he hung his head immediately, "sorry."

"Can we just forget about yesterday?" I sighed, "if you want to I mean."

Sawyer glanced up surprised, "really?"

"Yeah I really don't care about it, but all of you seem to so I say we just pretend it never happened," I suggested simply.

"You can't just forget about it," Nico was unusually pessimistic.

"Forget about what?" I smirked.

"Parents..," Mitchell started but then caught on and his huge intimidating face warmed with a smile, "oh."

"You don't have any questions then?" Sawyer prompted.

"Of course I have questions," I sighed, "but you don't ask questions about my life so I won't ask about yours, you can tell me when you want."

Grey looked at me with a mixture between admiration and shock in his eyes, a smile was trying up tug up his lips but he wouldn't quite let it.

"You're one of the greatest people I've ever met," Mitch decided firmly and slung and arm around my shoulder.

Just like that things were back to normal, all the boys became noticeably more comfortable now they didn't have the weight of my impending questions around their necks. Nico had his usual tongue in cheek humour, Mitch was his protective self, Grey added his dark quips and Sawyer continued to study me.

I thought I would get used to Sawyer's enquiringly eyes but I never did. His gaze was so intrusive, it felt like he was staring at my naked body free from all the walls of stacked up around myself. He stared at me like a puzzle he was trying to fit together but didn't have all the pieces to so it would always remain incomplete. He looked like he was trying to imagine what the puzzle would look like completed so he could get a better picture of me. It always made me squirm uncomfortably, it was like being looked at under a microscope that was starting to burn my skin. I let him continue though because a tiny part of me wanted to know what he would figure out. Maybe he could find something that I didn't even know about myself.

***

"Who likes shitty high school football?" I slammed the five tickets on the dining room table. It was the first time I'd seen the boys all evening as they'd been in various clubs so I'd been with Ben who was helping me with my English coursework. So this was my first opportunity to pose the question.

"What?" Mitch picked up the tickets and all four boys stared at me confused.

"This Friday, football match at my school. I've got you all tickets so I don't even know why I'm asking, you're all coming," I announced, "I think you all need to get out and do something fun."

"Fine," Nico let out a long melodramatic sigh, "I'll go out on a date with you Cara but only so you'll stop bugging me."

I elbowed him sharply which he only laughed at, Grey's face was as dark as a storm and I could have sworn I saw thunder crack in his eyes.

"This is really kind Cara but we'll pay you back," Mitch was already reaching for his pocket.

"Nope," I held my hands up, "no one is paying me anything. It's my gift."

It looked like Mitch was going to object but Sawyer cut him off abruptly, "thank you Cara."

"Thanks Vegas," Nico smirked, "but you know next time you can just ask me out, it will ruin the date a bit having all the others there."

"I'll bare that in mind," I chuckled.

"So it is a date?" Grey's voice cut through the air like lightening.

"Umm," I stumbled finding myself caught up in the intensity of his gaze.

"It's a date," Mitch decided with a laugh breaking the stream of electricity flowing between Grey and I.

"Can't say I've gone on a date with four boys before," I joked trying to break the undeniable tension at the table.

Instead I was fixed with four unreadable expressions. Friday night was going to be interesting.