prisoner (5sos/michael clifford)

P R O L O G U E

November 13, 2014

"Fifteen minutes unti-"

"We know, Ashton," Michael interrupted him, biting his nails.

The poor boy was shaking slightly and his fingers were close to bleeding. He was frantically checking out of the window in nervousness. Seeing Michael like this was truly heartbreaking, especially knowing what was coming for him. I wished I could do something to calm him down or reassure him.

"He had better days," Luke whispered in my ear.

"I can hear you," Michael said, his eyes still fixed on the kitchen window.

Calum frowned.

"I didn't say anything," Ashton voiced Calum's thoughts.

"Wasn't talking to you," Michael muttered.

Calum sighed and Ashton started walking around the kitchen. I understood that Michael was stressed out of mind and him talking harshly wouldn't help his cause, but I hoped his friends would understand that too and protect him anyway. He needed them, even disabled Calum.

"Are the lights upstairs closed? In the living room? I'm gonna check again," murmured Ashton to himself.

"Does he know no one will answer him? I mean, Michael's kinda freaking out, Calum has no way to communicate and we-"

"Can you shut up already?" I snapped at Luke. "Someone's life is on the edge."

"Okay, okay."

Ashton came back from his last (hopefully) check a few moments later and sat on a kitchen chair. Michael, realizing he had almost no nails left on his hands, started playing with his pocket knife. The only sound heard was the trio's breathings. During five long minutes, nobody talked or moved. I hated this silence. Michael's life was maybe coming to an end in less than ten minutes, but he wasn't saying anything.

"Mike, it's time," Luke told him.

"Guys, it's time," Michael repeated Luke's words shortly after.

Ashton got up, patted Michael's shoulder, took the baseball bat and went to the living room. Calum got up, took his forearm crutches and started heading to the living room, but turned around at the last second. Michael got up quickly and went toward his best friend. Without saying anything, the two guys hugged each other.

This kind gesture made me want to cry so badly. I mean, those minutes were maybe one of his lasts. After that, he would be gone. Gone. He would never breathe again. Laugh again. Feel again. It would be over for him. I knew it since quite a long time before and it didn't seem real. But it was.

"I love you, mate," Michael told Calum.

The two guys backed away and Calum put his stump over his heart, the best he could do to show his friend he felt the same way. Then, he left the room, leaving Michael with Luke and I.

"I'm gonna miss him so much," Michael said to no one in particular.

He sat down in his chair and started playing with his knife again.

"We're not going to let that psycho have you, man," Luke said as an attempt to reassure the boy.

Michael made a half-smile for a few seconds before returning to him grumpy nervous mood. Luke and I placed ourselves behind him, as planned. Everything turned silent again.

I concentrated on my hand and tried to put it on Michael's shoulder. To my relief, it worked; I could feel his shoulder under my palm. Michael turned his back to face me and put his hand on mine. He smiled sadly, but even if he didn't look happy at all, I knew what he said was his true feelings.