Chapter 4 - Youth

Vivianna lay on an inflatable in Miles' pool, staring blankly at the sky. It had been like that for around an hour, in a comfortable silence that left them floating aimlessly around the pool. She had thought that she would be the one to break the silence, however it was Miles.

Miles had an extremely grand house. His father was a rich man, considering he was mayor of Toronto. Vivianna was overwhelmed when they left the school parking lot in Miles' expensive car.  The drive had been silent, but as soon as they pulled up to his house Vivianna gave out a strange sound that sounded like a squeak as she studied his house, or rather, his mansion. It looked just as good on the inside as it did on the outside. His mother had a very good eye for interior design.

"So, why did you burn your school down?" he asked.

"I did not burn the school down. Just a storage shed."

Miles chuckled, and asked, "But why?"

"I don't know. I had an argument with a teacher." Vivianna sighed. She knew that it was a half-truth, but she would never confess the real truth to anyone. It seemed to be enough for Miles though.

"Okay, we need to, like, get out of the pool. We can't lie here forever." Miles said, and got out of the pool. Vivianna followed. Without a word, the boy beckoned her to follow him, and she did. This action surprised her. After everything, she didn't know why she was so quick to trust. It was very much a downfall. They walked silently through the rooms and corridors that lead from the pool to the staircase, before climbing up it and entering Miles' room.

It was a mess. The floor was covered in dirty clothes and boxes of takeout and pieces of white paper, scrunched into balls. Unsurprisingly, the bed was unmade and the thick curtains were drawn. The smell of gone-off food mixed with dirty air was atrocious. The door at the other side of the room was slightly ajar, and his desk was piled high with stationary and unopened textbooks. On his bedside table, along with half empty glasses of water, were four bottles of pills. Antidepressants, Vivianna assumed. The mess wasn't the first thing she noticed though. The first thing she noticed was the box on the floor. It was filled with photographs and little trinkets one might keep to remember an occasion. Upon further inspection, Vivianna saw that the pictures were of Miles, and a teenage boy. Tristan. 

Miles looked a lot happier then than he did now. He was smiling, his arm around the boy. Joy was eminent in his green eyes, not like the sad look of grief and despair that filled them now. She looked back at the real Miles, just as he noticed what she was looking at. He scurried forward to put the lid on the box and shoved it under his untidy bed. Vivianna smiled sadly at him, but he just stared at her, his features fighting anger.

"Sorry about the mess." he mumbled and sat down on his bed. She walked across the room to join him.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Vivianna asked.

"Not at all."

They stared at eachother for a long moment, before their lips crashed together messily. They moved together in perfect unison as they rolled back onto the bed, their lips still connected.

{ okay I hate myself for making these two hook up but whatever. this chapter is short I know but I haven't updated in a while so I just wanted to put something up. thanks for reading!

- H x}