prologue

Aurelia

Things are going great now. Humans coexist peacefully with vampires but rather rigidly in fear of betrayal. Father says they are not to be trusted but I believe peace is achievable if we separate our differences.

Mother thinks I'm crazy but that's because she doesn't know the truth. Vampires can be merciful and do have hearts even if they don't beat. I know this because I saw first hand.

Mother and Father may never know why I am secretly at the Vampires mercy. But I do and I will remember that day till I draw my last breath.

I can remember it like it was yesterday, though it was two years ago and a very dark time for me.

Flashback

"Aurelia, hurry sweetheart, you'll be late for your outing with Finn." Mother called from the kitchen.

I smiled. Finn was my year long boyfriend. He asked me to be his girlfriend when I was sixteen and we've been together since. Tonight was our anniversary and he was taking me somewhere special.

I took a deep breath.The smell of blueberries and peaches wafted through the house as I clamored around, trying to find my leather jacket.

I wore it everywhere and my first date would be no exception because it gave me good luck.

I was giddy and light as a knock resonated throughout the home I had lived in since before I could walk.

A smile lit up my features as I completely forgot my jacket and rushed down the stairs after dabbing my lips with some gloss.

"Finn, welcome, she'll be down in a moment." I could hear mother's voice as I jumped down the last step and ran into Finn's arms.

His embrace warmed me to the touch and I laughed as he twirled me around like a princess at a ball.

As he set me down, I smiled as a warm blush rose on my face. A camera flashed and I turned to see my mother taking a picture of us.

"We'll always remember this day." Motger said as her eyes filled with tears. I smiled.

"Mom, don't cry, it's only a date, I'm not going away for long," I cooed as I gave my mother a warm embrace.

"I know, I'm just so happy you found someone to love you baby girl," Mother smiled and I laughed.

"Mom, I have to go now. Tell dad I'll be back by nine." Before Father could come down the stairs I took Finn's hand, pulling him out of the house to his car.

"Why the hurry, babe?" Finn asked and I blushed. "Oh, I was just excited. It's been a year for us and I wanted more time with you," I whispered and he smiled.

"Come on. Your chariot awaits you my love." Finn opened my door for me and close it as I sat down in the seat.

As we drove down the road, I thought about what tonight meant for us. We were going for a picnic near my favorite spot in the woods.

He brought blankets in case we got cold and hot cocoa for warmth. As he parked his truck under the tree, his hand landed on my thigh.

I froze for a second but calmed down when his hand moved and he got out of the car. I followed him as he spread out the blanket on the truck bed.