Chapter Eleven

'Get the ward off!' Julius demanded, throwing his hand out to gesture toward three of the Immortals. They stood, dumbfounded for a moment, as they stared at Michael and Rafe in the centre of the room, their wings spanning to be as wide as the Angels were tall. Every Immortal in the hall, even those cowering behind the balustrade of the second floor, were entranced by the beings – and the entire event, most likely – in front of their eyes.

Michael lifted a hand, looking upward, and the bright symbol of the sanctuary ward faded away. Kael felt the weight lift but rather than standing, Kael was overcome with exhaustion. He dropped onto his back with a grimace.

'It's gone,' said Michael and Julius crossed to where Kael lay, offering him a hand. Kael ignored it and stood up on his own.

'What. The. Hell!' Eljae bellowed.

'That about sums it up,' said Ace on a groan, making Eljae reach across to help him sit up.

Kael looked up around the hall, seeing the Immortals slowly rise to their feet, panicked murmurs chorusing between them. Well, if they had been in a state of worry before from the earthquakes, they were about to descend into chaos with the death of Bennett and the Magistrate.

'Julius,' called Michael, 'dismiss the Immortals with the instructions to spread word of Fury's release. All Immortals across the mortal realm need to know she is alive – and that they are not to engage her.'

Julius did as instructed, calling out to the Immortals around them. Kael didn't care for Immortal protocol when disaster struck, so he looked toward Rafe and Michael who stood near the shattered remains of Zachariah, their wings dissipating from their backs. Whilst their wings may have been of the same gold energy and their eyes the same golden brilliance, Michael and Rafe couldn't have been more different in appearance.

Michael was clean-shaven with brown hair neatly trimmed and combed, giving the distinct impression of someone who would be found drinking coffee behind a laptop at one of Melbourne's more upmarket cafés. He wore a long tan coat, white shirt and jeans while Rafe, who more suited a bar down ACDC Lane, was dressed in a leather jacket over a dark shirt and dark denim pants and seemed distinctly more unkempt compared to Michael.

Michael was regarding the remains with remorse, but Rafe was watching Kael with a look in his eye that Kael could only liken to suspicion. So Kael made his way toward them, stopping only when he stood right before them, just shy of stepping on the golden shards scattered across the floor.

'You were actually going to kill her, weren't you?' Kael said.

'So?' Rafe snapped. 'Killing is an act your familiar with, isn't it?'

Kael's eyes narrowed. 'What's that supposed to mean?'

'It means I know what you truly are, Animas.'

'Hate to break it to you, but everyone knows what I am,' Kael quipped.

'Do they though?' said Rafe, his brow quirking. 'Do you?'

Kael hesitated, if only because Rafe's words had struck a chord in him – but Kael didn't know why.

'Enough, Rafe,' Michael joined in wearily.

Kael shook his head, banishing the feeling. 'I didn't come here to talk about me. Taryn is still alive,' Kael reminded them, 'but if you kill Fury, you kill Taryn.'

'And if we don't kill Fury, she'll kill everyone. Guess which option takes precedence?' Rafe said, crossing his arms over his broad chest.

Kael wasn't intimidated by him, and he knew that was exactly what Rafe was trying to do. He felt electricity spark at his fingertips in response to his anger and Rafe's eyes dropped down to look at it, amusement crossing his face. Nothing came of it though as Seth and Julius intervened, urging Kael back.