Chapter 2

2

Pretty looked from Polly to Fall and yowled in frustration. They were both alive, she knew that much. Were they at the edge of death? When Polly stirred and stood up stiffly, Pretty jumped over to her daughter and licked her many times.

"You don't need to treat me like a newborn, Mother," Polly hissed half-heartedly, her eyes falling to her bright-coated sister.

Her mother only shook her fur and stood. "You're right, I shouldn't, but does that mean that I cannot treat you like a daughter?" The dark gray she-cat padded out of the den, turning her head to say, "You know how to hunt. You will always have a warm nest here, but you have sense now. So does your sister."

Fall awoke to those words and blinked her tired eyes a couple times. Was her mother saying that they could leave? It seemed so. This nest was the place she had been raised in, but prey was too scarce.

Where would she go? There was that place with the wildcats. "Fall! Hear that? We can go somewhere else!" Polly purred.

Momentarily off guard, Fall glanced at her sister. She bowed her head and meowed,"Sure. Let me say goodbye."
Fall clamped the rest of the useful leaves between her jaws and searched for Pretty around the woods. The bushes rustled after she yowled loudly.

"Oh, Fall, it's you," Her mother's fur relaxed, but her expression morphed into one of realization. "You're leaving with Polly."

"Yes," Fall flicked her tail over Pretty's shoulder,"You can come with us if you want."

Pretty yawned loudly. "I'm not as young as I once was. You, Polly, and Wren are my fourth litter. Did you know that?"

"No, I had no clue. Where are my other siblings?" Fall was curious as to what happened to them. Her aged mother shook her head sadly.

"I don't know."

*

Thistlepaw's paws twitched with impatience. When she saw that Vinetail was padding towards the tree barrier, she bounded toward him. "Where is Flameheart? I have to go on a medicine patrol with you and her."

"I think she was in the elders' den, replacing Caneleg's peat," he responded casually. "What are you so worked up about, anyways? You could ask Siltpaw to come with us."

"Oh, all right," Thistlepaw hissed,"Nothing is wrong with me! I just think something is odd with the Clans."

Vinetail purred,"Isn't there always?
If you think it's serious, tell Oriolestar," He added on a more serious note.

Thistlepaw nuzzled her brother's neck.
"Of course. Look, it's Flameheart. We can go now."

The three cats bounded around the marshiest land in search of horsetail and other medicinal plants. Vinetail hunted for a few mice when they reached the dry area on the edge of the MarshClan territory. It wasn't that there were other Clans across this border, but an area with Twoleg stench, and few prey, if any.

"Do you smell rogues? I sure do," Thistlepaw mewed before sneezing.

Vinetail seemed tall with suspicion. "Two of them," A low rumble came from his throat. Flameheart nodded in agreement.

The young patrol crept towards the border. The outline of two cats running across the forest was the most interesting thing any of them had seen in a moon or more.

*