You Really Must Stay

The snowflakes were swirling down in the masses now as Tina scurried to Mr. Tailor's house. He was the last neighbor she needed to deliver Christmas cookies to, so she was determined to finish the task before the storm rolled in. Tina tucked the plate of cookies under her arm and hurried up the brick steps to the red door. On the last step, just as she began to slip, Mr. Tailor swept through the front door and caught her.

"Are you alright, baby?" he asked, gathering her in his arms while they ducked into the warmth of his home.

"Fine, I think," Tina replied, breathless.

"Here, let me help you with your coat." Mr. Tailor was easing her snow coat off her shoulders before she could stop him. "You know, I'd been hoping you'd drop by."

She laughed, still flustered by the sudden commotion. "Seems I have miserable timing, doesn't it?"

"No worries, darling. You look ravishing, by the way."

Blushing, Tina's dark eyes glanced down at her outfit. She was wearing a crimson sweater dress and knee-high snow boots, nothing overly extravagant. "Why, thank you, Mister Tailor."

"Aw, you know to call me Henry, baby," he said, taking her by the hand. "Your fingers are like ice! Let me hold them."

"Oh, Mister-I mean, Henry-you don't have to-"

"Nonsense! Come, sit on the sofa and I'll fetch us a drink."

Tina knew she should refuse, for she needed to head home, but it was cold outside and Mr. Tailor's house was warm. Without complaint, she sat on his leather sofa in front of the fireplace. She seized the moment to speak while Mr. Tailor was pouring their drinks in the kitchen.

"Henry," she told him, "I really can't stay. The storm is getting worse."

Mr. Tailor returned with a broad, white grin on his face. "Baby, it's cold outside. You can wait with me until it's over." He pushed a mug of steamy coffee into her hands.

"My mother's going to start worrying. I told her I'd only be gone for a min-"

"What's the hurry, love?" He smiled as he sipped on his own mug. "I added a little something special to warm you up."

Tina's mouth parted in surprise. "Henry, you know I don't drink-"

"All is well, baby. Just stay a little longer."

"My father must be pacing the floor. I really ought to be going," Tina insisted, moving to place her mug on the glass coffee table.

Mr. Tailor touched her knee, forcing her to still. "Please, don't hurry."

Swallowing heavily, she sat back against the sofa. "Well...maybe just half a drink more."

"You wanna put the radio on while I refill your mug?" he asked, not waiting for a response as he took her mug and disappeared into the kitchen once more.

Tina took a deep breath, rising from the couch to cross to the radio. After she'd found the Christmas station, she remarked, "You know the neighbors will be talking, Henry."

"Baby, it's bad out there," he reminded her, coming back into the living area. "The neighbors can't see through all the snow."

The nearest window showed the heavy snowfall, a sheer wall of white. It was going to be a long evening. Tina took a long swig of the coffee. Her eyes jolted up to Mr. Tailor's. "Say, what's in this drink?"

Mr. Tailor drew close to her, touching her cheek with his hand. "Your eyes are like starlight, baby. Twinkling so beautifully."

"I..." She couldn't tear her gaze from his tender one, thoughts tangling from his mesmerizing eyes. How do I break this spell?

His hands lifted to her curled hair, dampened by melting snow. "Your hair really looks swell."

Tina bit her lip. I ought to say no! It's just this holiday spirit, making everyone bloom with affection.

"Mind if I move in a little closer?" queried Mr. Tailor, cornering her against the radio stand.

"Henry-"

He pushed his finger to her lips. "What's the sense of hurting my pride, darling?"

"I really can't stay!" Tina squealed, thinking, At least I can say I tried to resist him.

"Baby, it's terribly cold outside," he whispered, bright blue eyes flickering between hers.

She slipped out from his arms, finding her resolve. "I really must go."

"You don't have to-"

"The answer is no."

"I'm glad you stopped by." Mr. Tailor followed her to the door.

"The welcome has been so nice and warm," Tina praised, flashing him a shy smile.

He put his hand on the door. "Look out the window, love. The storm is just raging."

Staring into his eyes, she felt like she could stay there for all eternity. "My sister...she'll be suspicious. She knows I'm here."

"Oh," Mr. Tailor said, leaning over her, "but your lips look so delicious."

Her fingernails dug into her palms while she fought for self-control. "My brother will be here at the door!"

"Just one little kiss."

"My aunt..." Tina twisted her head away to avoid his mouth. "My aunt is truly vicious!" Pushing him away, she ripped the door open.

A gust of freezing wind blew into the house and nearly knocked them both down. Tina's mouth fell open. Not even the front steps could be seen through the snow.

Mr. Tailor wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her back inside. "I've never seen such a blizzard before!"

Maybe just another drink more? she wondered. No, you must get home. "Say, lend me a coat, Henry."

"Baby, you'll freeze out there-it's up to your knees out there!"

"You've really been grand," she promised, squeezing his arm where it was still around her.

"I love it, darling, when you touch my hand."

Tina grabbed the door knob again, knowing if she didn't leave soon she likely wouldn't be leaving later.

"How can you do this to me, love?" he pleaded. "How can you leave me so soon?"

"Henry, can't see you see? Everyone will be talking tomorrow!"

"Think about my lifelong sorrow, Tina. You mustn't leave me now!" Mr. Tailor bent down to kiss her.

Against his lips, she weakly insisted, "I really can't stay." 

"I'd never forgive myself if you caught pneumonia and died."

Tina's eyes lowered as he kissed her again. "I really must go."

"I can't let you go, darling, because it really is freezing outside."

"Well..." She clutched his sweater. "But...I really must..."

Smiling, Mr. Tailor completed the thought for her. "You really must stay."