two » speaking silence

All Melanie wanted was to go back to Hogwarts. First of all, to escape her lonely house. Secondly, to fulfill her task. Then, to be with her friends and to be with Draco, like they had been before.

Now that he knew he was going to be given a task by the Dark Lord, saying Draco was nervous was an understatement. After Melanie had told him a few days ago, he had closed himself off to everybody. If Melanie from the start of fifth year was here, she'd be used to Draco being so distant. But Melanie of the present was worried for him. After being so close to each other, having distance between them was a difficult thing to go through.

Melanie was going to go to Malfoy Manor again, this time without Marcy. Marcy was only going to drop her sister off, apparently she had things to do, which surprised Melanie.

When Melanie arrived at Malfoy Manor, the large room they had been in yesterday and the days before was empty. Not wanting to wait in an empty room, Melanie started to explore the many corridors and floors of the mansion.

Of course, doing this wasn't anywhere near polite, but Melanie didn't care. She was bored, and curious.

Walking down a dark corridor and ascending a spiral of stairs, Melanie was greeted with another corridor. This time with a large window at the end of the corridor, overlooking the gardens.

Melanie walked over to the window and stood in front of it. The window overlooked a large hedge maze that looked dark, even though it was noon.

There was a comfortable silence as Melanie's eyes wandered in the maze. It was like a brain game, trying to find a way out of the maze she wasn't in. The peaceful silence was cut short by a voice Melanie had missed, even though she didn't want to admit it to herself.

"Ella?" The only person that called her Ella was Draco. "What are you doing here?"

Melanie turned around and came face to face with Draco.

"The room downstairs was empty, so I thought I'd do some exploring. This place is huge," said Melanie.

Draco cracked a ghost of a smile. "Yeah, but we barely use more than five rooms," he said.

"Still, this place feels centuries old. How long has your family lived here?" Melanie asked, turning back around and looking out the window again.

"Well, we've lived here since I was born, but Father's ancestors lived here when they first came to England."

Melanie raised both eyebrows. "Wow. How many generations are there?"

"I don't know exactly, but I know that there were a lot. About ten centuries, I think," Draco said, taking a step toward Melanie.

"Wow," she said. "We only have a few generations, that I know of."

Draco nodded, willing for Melanie to go on.

"There's me and Marcy, Dad, grandad, Dad's grandad, and grandad's grandad, who came to England from somewhere in Europe," Melanie explained. "But Mum's family apparently came from somewhere in Turkey, like a hundred years ago. I don't really know a lot about it, but Mum once told me her grandma's grandma knew Turkish. Which is really cool, I think."

Draco nodded. "The Malfoys came from France, I think."

Melanie grinned. "You're a French boy, then? Well, distantly..."

"If you don't count the centuries between, then yes, I am," said Draco with a small laugh.

Melanie gave a short laugh and looked back into the maze outside, her eyes following the hedges, trying to find a way out of the maze she wasn't even in.