Chapter one, Sparta.

No retreat, no surrender.
That is Spartan law.
And that, is what I have lived with.
What I have lived for.
All we live for, is the glory of Sparta, is knowing we die for our freedom.
But I didn't know, that that would change soon for me....

------------------------------------------------

Freedom, what is that exactly?
Is it being able to live where you want?
Or is it being able to say and think what you want?
Or, is freedom just an illusion?
Whatever it may be, it comes with the highest cost.
The cost of blood.

---------------------------------------------------------

480 B.C. ~Sparta.

The day is like any other day.
A warm sun, light breeze, and sometimes a bit of rain.
All the people are doing their usual jobs.
A smith, making swords.
A farmer, harvesting their food.
And the king and queen, living up to their duties.

Everything went normal, until he came...

"Leonidas!!" Queen Gorgo walks in.
Leonidas was teaching their son fighting, as is tradition for the king.
"What is it?" He says, sweat dripping from his forehead.
"A persian messenger. He's asking for you." From the look on his queen's face, he knows it can be nothing good.
He stands up and puts on his cape. He then walks over to Gorgo.
"Do you know what he wants?" She shakes her head.
"No, he only said two words... Leonidas, and Alkestis."
Alkestis is the only female warrior. She's very strong, composed, smart, and she does not fear.
She is also Leonidas' younger sister. They were trained together.

Leonidas quickly walks over to the gardens.
"Alkestis! We need to talk to a messenger." He says, standing next to her.
"Persian? No thank you." She says, she is not very fond of Persians.
"Sister, come on! Your name means strong! Show that you are, this one time."
She rolls her eyes and follows her brother out of the palace.

Once outside, they see the messenger, and his company...
He brought around twenty soldiers with him.
Alkestis looks at him, her blue eyes filled with hate.
Her dark red hair shining in the sunlight.
And her pale skin, looking ice cold.
She had bad memories from the Persians, they did horrible things. To her, and to the rest of Greece.

"Persian, what brings you here?" She asks, spitting out the word 'Persian' with poison.
"Oh, and before you speak, think carefully of your words." Leonidas finishes.
The Persian makes a small bow, and then opens his mouth.
"Earth and water." That's all what comes out.
"Earth and water? You have plenty of that in your own lands!" Alkestis says, clearly not so fond of his request.
"What makes a woman think she can speak among men?" The messenger says, glaring at Alkestis.
"First of all, I am daughter of the last king and queen, wich makes me royal. Oh, and only Spartan women give birth to real men." The warriors from Sparta, wich have gathered the last minute, all laugh.
"I only ask you for a simple offer, for the god-king Xerxes. Give him earth and water, to show your loyalty."
Leonidas is deep in thought. In the meantime, they had walked a bit.

"I heard the Athenians declined. So why would we agree?"
At that moment, one of the councilmen walks up to the two.
"My lord! You can't make such a decision! Think wisely, think of your loved ones, think of Sparta!" He says.
"Now, Leonidas, you might want to choose your next words carefully." The Persian warns, a smirk evident on his face.
"You come here, showing us skulls of the conquerred kings. Asking for earth and water. You insult my sister. And you tell me to choose my next words carefully? Oh, I have chosen my words carefully, maybe you should have done the same."

By this time, they have reached a gigantic hole in the ground.
The Spartans use it to throw enemies in who dare to come here.
He quickly unsheathes his sword, and points it at the messenger.
"This is madness! Nowhere in Greece, nowhere in the world! Do you threathen a messenger!" He says, clearly terrified.
"Madness?" Leonidas says, laughing. He looks back, he sees all his people, watching his every move.
And then, his eyes land on Alkestis, his precious sister.

When Leonidas was not sure of what he should do, he always looked at Alkestis, asking for advice.
He did the same now. He knew that this would mean war, but wouldn't that come anyway?
Alkestis nods, signaling for him to do it. She also knows that war would come anyway.
Leonidas nods back, and turns around again.
"This. Is. Sparta!!!" And with that, he kicks the Persian into the pit.
At this, the other Spartan warriors kick the soldiers in the pit.

"My lord! War will come upon us now!" A councilman says, looking worried.
"That, my friend, would come anyway."
Then Leonidas and his sister walk away.
They return to the palace.

"Leonidas, what do we do? We need to fight them! We can't just wait until they get here!" Alkestis says, already making a plan in her head. "Don't worry, my sister. I know we need to fight them. Have any suggestions?"
They smile at each other. Even with these circumstances, they smile. They are afterall brother and sister. And their bond is stronger than anything.