Chapter two, warplans.

Leonidas and Alkestis are making the warplans.
"So, what do we know about the Persians?" Alkestis says, writing everything down.
"Well, they are all slaves, so no real warriors. But their number is around half a million." Leonidas says, thinking about what he knows. Alkestis writes everything down, and makes a plan.
"No real warriors? So their strong point is their numbers. What about the hot gates? It's a small passage through the mountains. If we go there we can stop them. Numbers count for nothing in that passage. Only strength and skills."
"Alkestis! That's a great idea! But, how much I dislike it, I need to ask permission from the Ephors. And you know you cannot come with me." Leonidas says, dreading to ask them, he never believed the Ephors spoke the truth. He always thought they said things to get what they wanted.

That evening, Leonidas climbs the high, steep mountain where the Ephors live.
The Ephors are creature-men. More creature than man. They translate the oracle's language into our own.
Only the most beautiful girl from Sparta is chosen to be oracle.

"Leonidas, we have been expecting you." One says, leading Leonidas inside.
"So we stop them at a small mountain passage, called the hot gates. Their numbers count for nothing there-"
"Leonidas! Before you continue with your plan, what have you brought to offer us?"
Whenever you ask for help from the Ephors, you have to give them something.
Leonidas grabs a bag from his pocket. It's filled with money.
"So we stop them here, the only thing I need is my army." He says, looking up at the Ephors.
"We must hear the oracle!"

~one weird wiggly dance from a drunken girl later~

"Sparta will fall, respect the Carneia!"
"But we don't have time to wait for the Carneia! We need to do something now!"
"Leonidas, the oracle has spoken. Don't go to war, or Sparta will fall."
Leonidas lets out an irritated growl, and goes back down.

---------------------------------------------------------
"You have done well." The councilman says, throwing a large bag with money at the ground.
But not just money, money from Xerxes' empire.
The councilman, is a traitor.
---------------------------------------------------------

"And?" Alkestis asks as soon as she sees Leonidas return.
"They did not grant permission. We can't go to war." He says with a defeated look on his face.
"Brother, did the Ephors, or oracle ever stop us? We both know that we cannot wait any longer!"
"You're right, but I can't take the army with me. I can't fight without my men!"
"Ask the captain. Ask him to get together 300 of our finest men, all who have sons to carry on their name."
Leonidas looks up, directly staring into Alkestis' eyes. "What would I do without you?" He says while hugging her.

**next day, sunrise**

"Is this all of them?"
"Yes sire, 300 men who have sons to carry on their name." The captain, Artemis, says.
"Your own son? He is too young to have felt a woman's warmth."
The son of the captain, Astinos, stood in between all the men.
"He is, sire. But he is no younger than we were when we first stood on the battle ground."
Leonidas inspects all the warriors in front of him.
"We are with you, sire! We will fight for our freedom until we die!"
"Thank you, Stelios." Leonidas says, nodding and smiling at Stelios.

Suddenly a group of men in white togas approach.
"My lord! What are you doing? I thought the oracle said you couldn't go to war!"
Again, it was the councilman.
"I am just taking a stroll on this lovely morning. And these men? They are my personal bodyguards. I left the army here." The councilman looks at him suspiciously.
"Where are you heading, my lord?"
"Now that I think about it, I think I'll head north."
Then the captain signals for the 300 to leave.

Leonidas also starts walking, but is called back by his queen.
"Spartan!" She yells.
"Yes, milady?"
She takes off her necklace, and puts it around his neck.
"Come back with your shield, or on it."
He just nods.
No words of goodbye, no words of sorrow, or hope.
He just nods and leaves.

One hour of walking has passed.
And in the distance, the 300 can hear someone shouting.
"Hey!! Wait for me!! Hey!"
It's a woman.
An all too familiar woman.

"Alkestis!? Why are you here?" The captain says.
Leonidas walked at the front, and the captain at the back.
"I'm coming with you!" She says, panting from all the running.
"No you can't! Leonidas won't forgive himself if something happens to you! Go back, now!"
Alkestis just pushes the captain away, and runs to the front.
"Leo! You left without me!?" She says, tackling her brother from behind.
"Alkestis!? I thought I told you to stay in Sparta!"
"Well, too bad for you! I'm coming, and I'm staying."
Leonidas knows better than to argue with his sister. He knows she will come no matter what he tries.
"Fine... You can come, but if it's too dangerous, and I tell you to run, you run."
"Thanks Leo!!" Alkestis says, hugging him again.

"Okay men! Move forward!" The captain yelled.
And they all began their journey once again, this time with Alkestis.

Three hours later, they came across some other people.
"Daxos! My old friend! What brings you here?" Leonidas says, embracing his friend.
"I heard you guys are on war path. So I brought an army to help. Only I expected you to do the same."
Daxos had come with about 600 Arcadians.
"Army? You, what is your profession?" Leonidas points to a random guy.
"I'm a smith, sire."
He continues to ask random men.
"I am a sculpter." "A farmer, sire." These are just a few of the professions.
"Spartans! What is your profession!!" Leonidas yells as loud as he can.
All 300 behind him including his sister hold their spears in the air and yell out their battle cry.
"See, I brought more soldiers than you did." Leonidas says, walking on.
"If it is death you're looking for, you are welcome to join us!"
Alkestis goes up to Daxos.
"Daxos! I missed you! Are you joining us? We could use some help." She and Daxos had been friends from a young age.
"Yes, we're coming. But don't expect too much help from us..."

And they walk on. They will walk on until they reach the mountains.
And then, there will be no way back.

Provocatrixजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें