Chapter One

I shot out of bed and immediately grabbed my knife...breathing heavy, adrenaline flowing.
"Just a dream..." I mumbled as I realized there was no one in my bedroom.
Bedroom. That was something I haven't had since the outbreak began. It was strange, to sleep in a house entirely to myself with warm, running water and a decent amount of food. I've only been in Alexandria for two weeks, and it's been very difficult to transition from absolute solitude to having neighbors.
I've managed to make friends with what the Alexandrians referred to as "Rick's Group". The group of people who came into Alexandria after being out on the road for a while, they took over and helped build this community to where it is now. The original Alexandrians are a bit soft in my opinion. Rick's Group understands how hard it is to live out in the world, Maggie, Michonne, Carol, Carl, Rick and Daryl have been nothing but accepting of me, even if I wasn't exactly opening up to them.
I was still having nightmares. Every once in a while I would wake up in a cold sweat and reach for the nearest weapon, ready to murder something. I guess that puts sleeping with someone out of the question. I'd probably wake up to a dead man and blood soaked sheets.
I chuckled to myself and put the knife back on my nightstand. Then I went over to the mirror, rubbed my tired eyes and braided my long black hair in a side-braid. I got dressed in black skinny jeans and a dark green shirt and went downstairs.
After making some eggs for breakfast I put on my boots and grabbed my spear and headed out to see if anyone needed help watching the wall.
Just as I opened the door, Daryl had been about to knock.
"Oh, sorry Ophelia. I was just coming by to see if you were awake." Daryl said.

"Yeah, I'm awake." I smiled. "Come on in, what's up?" Daryl stepped into my house and I shut the door behind him.

Daryl awkwardly stuffed his hands in his pocket and looked at the ground. "I'm going hunting real soon and I was wondering if you'd want to come. Y'know... getting outside these walls can be nice every once in a while."

I hesitated to respond. I liked Daryl, I liked hunting but that was something I'm used to doing alone. But, I really should begin to open up to these people and Daryl seemed like a great way to start.
"You don't have to say yes, you know." Daryl shrugged.

"No... that sounds great. I'm ready when you are." I told him.

Daryl smiled wider. "Awesome. Just meet me by the gate in five minutes." I opened the door for Daryl and he headed towards the gate.

*

"I'm guessing you used to hunt before the outbreak?" Daryl asked me as we dragged a deer behind us. It was a pretty successful hunt, Daryl and I each got a handful of squirrels and I managed to spear a deer, injuring it enough to make it fall and Daryl swiftly put it out of its misery with his crossbow. We high-fived and started back to Alexandria.

"Actually, no. I learned in the years that this whole thing was going on. I hated hunting, I still do. The only difference now is that it's necessary for survival."
Daryl nodded. "Well, you learned damn quickly, I've never seen anyone hunt so well with a spear before.'

I blushed and turned my attention back to the deer. We continued to drag it all the way back to Alexandria and I asked Eugene to open up the gate.
"This was nice, you make hunting a lot more enjoyable." Daryl said, blushing.
I smiled idiotically wide and nodded. "Thanks, it's a hell of a lot nicer having something to distract me from killing innocent animals."
I hope he took that as a compliment, I've never been good at complimenting. Eugene finally had the gate open and we walked in, a few people were pointing at our deer already. It wasn't extremely common to eat anything but canned vegetables here, so people always looked forward to Daryl bringing home something good.
"Do you want to help me...clean this deer up?" Daryl asked.
"Me? Oh, no way. Spearing it is heartbreaking enough for me. Maybe you can come over my house tonight for dinner though?"
Daryl looked up into my green eyes and smiled. "Sounds like a plan. See you later."
Daryl walked off with his deer and I made my way over to Glenn and Maggie's place to hang out.
"Oh hey Ophelia, how's it hanging?" Glenn asked me as he opened his door.
"Good, good. Is Maggie here?" I asked.
Glenn shook his head. "Nope. Last time I heard she was at Enid's place. She wanted to get her hair cut."
"Okay, cool. Can I-" I started to say.
"Glenn! Glenn come quick we have to go to Hilltop." Daryl screamed as he sprinted over to Glenn and I.
"Why? What happened?" Glenn asked, panicked.
"It's Maggie. Maggie's having trouble with the baby." Daryl panted.
Glenn burst out of the house and shoved Daryl forward, telling him to show him where to go.
The three of us took off running, Glenn and I were following Daryl. Daryl brought us to Enid's porch where she was sitting next to Maggie on the ground. Maggie was hunched over in pain, clutching her stomach.
Something was happening with the baby, and I was the closest thing to a doctor here. I was an army nurse, before this all started. But I knew I wouldn't be able to help Maggie, I knew how to stop bleeding and take out bullets. Nothing about babies or giving birth.
However, Glenn, Daryl and now Rick who had just ran over were all looking at me to help her.