🌼✉💎

Note: This part is set in a small Fulani village some 15 years ago. The language spoken throughout is Fulfulde.

***

In Summer came the Daffodils 🌼
And the Roses bloomed in Spring🌹
But oh my darling blossom,
How I wished you could have stayed.
-Lameedo Maheer 1995.

*|*

He stood there both hands resting on the stick that lay above his shoulder. Lamido Maheer stood out among his peers. Not only because he reared the largest herd of cattle amongst his age mates, he had memorised the Holy Quran at a young age and recently started learning how to read and write. He had told her the story about how he stumbled on western education when grazing had took him from Mambila all the way to the Plateus of Jos in search for greener pastures. That was where he met a rural resident doctor who was volunteering at a little fulani village over there. He had taught him the alphabets and now he's beginning  to write and read some few words. When he was leaving Jos, he had asked the doctor to teach him how to write a letter and  since then he had kept the letter with him waiting for an opportunity to present itself where he would give Jawaheer and today was the right moment. He heard that she was travelling to see some of her family in the city so he asked her to meet here.

"This letter would be the perfect parting gift"
He pondered.

The cattle moo'ed as they grazed on the vast fields. Jawaheer watched as he bent down and picked a flower.  She recognised it. It was a Daffodil. One of the few flowers that grew by the river bank. She walked slowly towards him careful not to startle him.

Jewel!
He chimed when he saw her. It was one of the English words he knew.

Lamido Maheer!
She smiled revealing her set of dentures.

You came!
He added

Yes I came.
She replied.

She watched as he gently brought out a piece of paper from his pockets and handed her. She grasped it tightly as the wind blew sending her hair flying through its direction. Lamido Maheer placed his hands gently untangling the strands of loose hair that swayed in front of her face reveling her smile. He took out the flower he plucked, the daffodil together with its long stem and tuck it beneath her hair just above the ear.

Perfect!
he whispered

She wiggled the piece of paper at him.

It's a letter!
he beamed. 

What do I do with it?
She teased.

Read it.
He rolled his eyes at her.

But you know I can't read. And I didn't go to school.
She gulped her eyes looking at her feet.

Yes. And that's why I wrote it to you.  Because I want you to promise me that you'll learn how to read. And read my letter.
He explained

She smiled as she scrutinised the folded paper turning it from side to side.

I will learn how to read it. For you Lamido.
She responded.