2. part II - threats

The chill of the early evening had both of them huddling inside their jackets. A cold spell from the high arctic had swept in a week ago and refused to give in. It was the complete opposite of the previous year when rain had drizzled from the low clouds throughout most of December.

They exited the metro at Gamla Stan and navigated the streets to the Archive on Riddarholmen. The ice lay thick on the water around the island and occasional sounds rang through the air as it strained to expand. Adeem tried to focus on the details to calm down. Beside him, Nev appeared nervous as well but kept his back straight and his mouth shut.

Lights shone from the Archive's tall windows, allowing a warm glow to fight the pressing darkness. Faint shadows moved behind the flames.

"It seems everyone is here tonight," he said, almost regretting it right away as if the acknowledgment made it more real.

Nev paused and seemed to study the setting. "Well, if the dragon managed to get you here, I doubt his invitation was the kind you can decline."

"Awesome." It wasn't awesome at all. Not only did he have to face the dragon, he'd have to spend the evening with people he usually tried to avoid. His presence had a strange effect on people—if they knew he was somehow connected to his parents, they generally tried to suck up. If they knew him through rumor, they sometimes raised barriers around themselves for protection. The only ones who seemed to stand his company were Nev, Vincent and a few others who were too kind-hearted to know better.

"Feeling nervous, Adeem," someone said behind them. "Maybe they've finally found someone to rein you in."

He didn't have to look over his shoulder to know who it was. Astrid never ceased to tease him when she could. What she really thought about him was a mystery, however. He had a feeling the hellion enjoyed a bit of disruption with her dinner. She was also the scariest female he'd ever met—his mother exempted.

"Astrid, how nice of you to join us," he said.

Nev played with his lip piercing, another nervous tick the vampire revealed from time to time. Adeem couldn't fault him. They had reason to be nervous when Astrid was around. He placed himself between the two.

"I bet the dragon will take pride in making you bow before him," she said with a bright smile that had nothing to do with real humor. "Can't wait to see it."

"Well, ladies first," he replied, waiting for her smile to drop entirely. It did, and when she strode toward the entrance with a scowl, he felt a pulse of pure satisfaction. At least he wasn't the only one to be wary of their new Guardian.

Nev leaned in to whisper, "Nice work."

"I heard that," Astrid called out without breaking stride. She walked like no one else Adeem knew. Her confident swagger had a lethal quality to it that he admired. If little girls needed a good role model, she was far cooler than any fictitious superhero. She didn't have a hint of innocence about her, but she had all the other qualities that mattered. And innocence was overrated in his opinion.

"Come on," he said to Nev. They might as well get it over with—standing outside would only make things worse.

They followed Astrid inside the grand foyer decorated with a ridiculous red carpet. The secretary had dressed in her finest and stood ready to greet the guests. Her modern clothes clashed with the Art Nouveau details seen everywhere as a reminder of the building's true age.

The secretary's mouth quirked with a satisfied smirk when she saw them. "Welcome." She proceeded to nail him with a haughty look. "I've waited long to see you in these halls, Adeem. As the humans say 'when pigs fly'."