Chapter 1

“Sara! What about this one?” Ameera shouted from down the aisle holding up a Hello Kitty backpack.

“Shh,” Sara hushed her “do you want the whole world to know we’re here.” She said getting nervous from everyone’s poor attempt at hiding their stares.

“Sorry,” Ameera whispered. “What do you think about this back pack, I like it.”

 “It’s ok, and yes, a cat backpack only seems appropriate, and the pink color suits you.”

Ameera smiled and slung it around her back. “Which one are you going to get?”

“I can’t decide.”

“How about this one?”

“Hmmm.. Hannah Montana, I think I’ll pass on that this time.”

“Ok then how about Care Bears?”

Sara gave her a sideways glance. “Seriously? I’m thinking more of something without any pictures or cartoons on it.”

“That’s boring.” Ameera grumbled.

“I like this one.” Sara picked up a denim backpack that had leather sewn in on the bottom and a flap on top that covered a cinch string.

“I guess its ok.” Ameera said, “If you really want it, just remember you are only a high school senior once.”

“Thanks for the advice shorty, I’ll keep that in mind. What else do you still need to get?”

“Pencils, they have to be number 2, a ruler, calculator, lipstick, and a notebook.”

“I don’t remember lipstick being on that list. You know dad’s rule.”

“I know, don’t remind me,” She whined “no makeup until I turn 16.”

“At least you’ll be able to wear makeup.”  Sara sighed at the thought then her ears perked up and turned to the crowd gathering in the aisle behind them. She could hear people whispering to each other about them; though she couldn’t understand exactly what they were saying.

They were obviously intrigued by her brown fur, tail, ears, and other cat like features. The media started calling the cats, rabbits and elves chimeras, which is a hybrid of two or more species, and it had caught on quick. Some people use the word in a derogatory manor, but it was also the name of the company that was offering everyone the chance to be like her.  Even though the media had been plastered with the few chimeras from across the country including a few shows she had been on herself; most people had never seen one in person, and she was still quite the novelty even in her own neighborhood in Colorado Springs. “Let’s hurry little sis, the other customers are making me nervous.”

After quickly picking out the rest of their school supplies the two girls hastily made their way to the checkout counter where a nice older lady was waiting to check them out.

“You’re that cat girl that was on TV a few weeks back aren’t you?”

“Yeah, that was me.” Sara replied.

“Well, I think your story is so inspiring. I think it’s horrible how the FDA shut down the Chimera project. “

“Yeah,” Sara glanced at the old lady behind the counters name tag. ”Betty, I guess they didn’t like the idea of losing drug money to an alternative.”

“Well I told Bob, my husband, to buy that when I first saw it on TV, and he kept telling me he would do it later, and now it’s too late.” Betty sighed. “That’ll be $146.23”

Sara pulled a couple of folded bills out of her purse and handed it to Betty. “Keep the change, and you never know it might not be too late. “ Then she grabbed her things and Ameera’s hand and whisked out the door.