His Queen

Chapter Aesthetic:

"I'll allow you to go see Khalid if you take some time off of work and give yourself a break", his words echoed through the little corridor between the bathroom and their bedroom

"Allow me?"

"I'm sorry, that came off wrong. You know that's not what I meant to say" Zayn sputtered quickly, carefully choosing his next words.
"What I meant to say was--"

Laleh in her amused state by the dressing table- still silently brushing her hair- decided to tease him further.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that I needed your permission to go see my brother- who's in prison for saving my life", she said dramatically, glaring pointedly at Zayn's reflection in the mirror for effect.

He was clearly distressed as he rushed to her side to assure her that that truly wasn't what he meant.
Ever since the wedding, Laleh had been hell-bent on proving to the people of Malikbhar that she deserved to be their future Queen. Immersing herself within her charity work and regular appearances around the country despite Zayn reassuring her that she had the people's support. If not all, then most.

He was worried she was spreading herself out too thin and didn't understand why she seemed so bothered by the prospect of a few non-supporters. There are always a small percentage of people who want to oppose beliefs and systems but that was part of the job. The Laleh he knows is much tougher than to let this get to her.
What he doesn't know is that to her, it isn't about the people. She knows with time she will eventually win their hearts. To her, it's personal. When she came back all those months ago she was confident that she had found her purpose in life and nothing would change that. The wedding on the other hand, was a different scenario. It was all too real and the responsibility of being Malikbhar's future Queen had been thrusted onto her shoulders. So no, this wasn't about the people. This was about her and proving to herself that she can be Laleh; an entrepreneur, a social activist, a loving wife and a queen in her own right.

She stared at her hands engulfed in Zayn's, who by now had moved to kneel in front of her and voiced his concerns calmly. The circular motion of his thumbs against her pulse points soothing her and gently coaxing her to close her eyes.

"Okay", she interrupted softly.

Zayn, however, had been too absorbed in his rant to notice her quiet submission, "... you're putting too much pressure on yourself and- huh?"

"Okay, I'll take some time off of work" she reiterated, her eyes still downcast and contemplative.
He noticed this though and reached a slow hand out to cup her jaw. Her hand which had lost the warm comfort of his, followed to cover it. Her head tilting instinctively into his palm.

"What's bothering you, hayati?"

She looked at him now; once stormy seas now languid waves meeting the warm brown of his irises.

"Nothing, just thinking of what I'll do with all my spare time now" she said with a growing smile. He knew there was more to her words but decided against prodding her further, trusting that she would come to him when she was ready.

"Well I had a few ideas, actually" he enthusiastically informed to which she raised an eyebrow. She was surprised by her husband's apparent pre-conceived plans. Laleh motioned to get up, pulling Zayn along with her.

"Tell me in bed" she said while reaching her side and removing the duvet to get in.
Once they had settled in, with Laleh safely tucked into Zayn's side and him delicately playing with strands of her hair, she looked up at him expectantly.

"Let's go on a holiday" he said, almost as if he had forgotten that he was the crown prince.

Laleh was laughing now, more to herself if anything. Just to make sure she had heard correctly, "a holiday?"

"Yes, a holiday to anywhere you'd like", she could tell that Zayn was very excited by the prospect.

"Didn't our honeymoon count?" She couldn't believe she was saying this, the old Laleh would've taken him up on his offer a long time ago.

"It could I suppose but it comes with the wedding, this would be our first holiday as a couple and we could be spontaneous, like real tourists", and really how could anyone ever say no to that giddy boy in him?
So Laleh smiled to herself and gently shook her head in mirth and responded, "okay Your Royal Highness, we'll go to wherever your heart desires on a spontaneous holiday, but for now how about you read me another one of your letters to sleep?"

He immediately hoisted himself up and reached into his bedside drawer to retrieve a letter.
However, by the time he had found one that hadn't been read yet and fit himself beside her laying form, Laleh had drifted into a slumber.

Zayn kissed the side of her temples while reciting a silent prayer and lightly tugging her closer to him.

"I'd go to the ends of the Earth, as long as it was with you."