Chapter I

*This chapter contains graphic violence. If you have a sensitive stomach or are tenderhearted in any way then i suggest you do not read this. Please leave any comments and vote. i would like to get on the "What's Hot" list for any of my works. Enjoy!* 

Chapter

I watched as they dragged her away. She screamed and kicked but it wasn't enough. After they took her away the house was quiet. I let the kids sleep in "our" room. Our room. She hadn't slept there in seven years. I placed a bread loaf in the oven and started some water to boil for tea.  Walking back into the bedroom the four of them were watching some cartoon show on the Nickelodeon channel. Thiago looked over at me. He had his mother's eyes. The kind of eyes that looks right through you and into your core. I smiled at him and he turned back to the TV.

Sighing, I went to the nursery. The blood was everywhere. The white rug was no longer white. The crib was empty. She took them from me. And for that I will never forgive her. I will never understand her. The door bell rang and I all but ran to answer it. Patricia's mother was at the door. I opened the door to see a sobbing Shelby. I opened my arms to her. She is the grandmother of my children. I don't blame her, I blame Patricia's father for her condition.

Shelby sobbed into my chest for her head barely made it passed my broad shoulders. I pulled her small frail frame into the house and grabbed her bags as well. Smiling I guided her to the living room couch were she could sit. After getting her there I went to check the bread. I put some bags of chamomile to steep.  My oldest son Hunter came down the stairs. Seeing his grandmother he ran the rest of the way until she was in his arms. A tear escaped my eye. Such a display of love and affection after the disgusting display of horror, jealousy and hate. I turned away, not wanting my son to see me like this. My mind wandered to earlier that evening.

*8 Hours Earlier*

Patricia is changing the diaper of one her twin new born. She is being a little uncharacteristically rough. These two twins make her a mother of six. Patricia was always strict with her children. She was a marine. Her husband Richard or Rick was a civilian; he was a personal trainer and a physical therapist. He made more than she did and it pissed her off. Muttering under her breath she picked up her babies and set them in their separate cribs.

Cathleen, her four year old daughter, walked in and hugged her mother by her knees. Looking down Patricia sighed.

"What is it this time?" She spat. Cathleen loosened her grip noticing her mother's tone.

"Can I make brownies for the bake sale?" Cathleen looked up expectantly.

            Cruel laughter escaped the mother's lips as she picked up her daughter and brought her to the kitchen downstairs. Placing her on the counter, Patricia went through the cabinets bringing out bowls, measuring cups and spoons. Cathleen smiled glad her mom was being nice.

"Honey, can you get down and grab the eggs?"

            Cathleen grabbed the refrigerator door handle and bent down to reach for the eggs. Patricia picked up a pan that was on the counter and lifted it over her head. With one hand she brought it down hard. Her daughter screamed with pain, collapsing on the floor. Patricia closed the refrigerator door and turned the pan handle in her hand walking toward a cowering Cathleen. Gritting her teeth she spoke snakelike. "Go. To. Your. Room."

            She ran up the stairs stumbling on the way to her room. With one hand on her burning tush the other on the railing. She finally made it.

"Honey! I'm home." turning the corner to the kitchen "Where are the kids?"

            Richard pecked his wife on the cheek setting down groceries and his workbag. Not waiting for an answer he went up the stairs. Sighing, Patricia started to unpack the perishables first. Thundering steps were heard. Richard storms into the kitchen with Cathleen on his hip and the other three kids following not far behind.