Epilogue . . .

Epilogue . . .

Essence watched as the three left the House. She watched as the walked out into the Empire. And she watched as the disappeared. She was always watching.

Lilith walked up to her. "You did a good job, Lilith, I'm proud of you." Essence smiled at her daughter and she wasn't lying either. She was proud actually. Lilith would make a good Empress one day.

But not any day soon of course.

Lilith smiled. "But you let Duke go. You didn't kill him, I thought that was part of the plan."

"He's not dangerous anymore. Ahilian—his tie to the throne's powers—is gone. He's just another normal boy. And I have this sort of feeling, that Duke is part of something larger, and I think it would hurt him a lot more, if we were to let him become a part of something larger, and then rip it from him at the last moment. Here, he had nothing to loose. There was no glory or satisfaction in killing him."

Lilith nodded pretending to understand, but she knew better. Duke still had powers, and the powers he had had weren't because of his tie with Ahilian. Ahilian didn't have those sort of powers even when he was legally in power. No, those powers came from someone much more powerful.

But Ahilian was dead. No one would ever know. Essence wouldn't find out. Soren wouldn't find out.

Duke wouldn't find out. What she was to him. As fas as he was concerned, his mother was just Ahilian's dead sister.

But she shouldn't dwell on the past. She had a whole future ahead her.

Essence didn't know it, but something terrible was about to happen. Something awful, despicable, horrendous, despiteful.

Something beautiful.