Chapter Fourteen: Proposal

"Zem? Hey, Zemaria... wake up," Shikamaru had entered her makeshift tent.

    "Mm... five more minutes momma," she said sound asleep.

    He shrugged, "Well I guess it's time for Plan B again. I don't normally like to wake those who sleep. She's too cute to disturb..."

    Shikamaru got up and made a short trip to the river, scooped up some water in a canteen, walked back over to Zemaria and splashed the water on her. She sleepily opened an eye an tried to focus. After realizing it was Shikamaru, the vine tent dismantled itself and she tackled him.

    "Shikkie! When did you get back? I thought you were supposed to be gone for two days," she smiled.

    Shikamaru was a little confused, "Uh- dad said you left and never came back. He was worried something happened. I've no idea how he missed coming here to look for you."

    Zemaria blinked confused, "Wait, how long have I been sleeping then?"

    "By the way he sounded when he told me I'd say two days," he told her.

    "TWO DAYS!? I've been asleep for two days!? I haven't figured out an answer yet!" Zemaria yelled hopelessly.

    Shikamaru laughed, "You're adorable. Dad told me you seemed to have a lot on your mind after opening your gift."

    She nodded, "It had nothing to do with you and my answer though. At first I had concerns that father would try and interfere with the wedding if he got wind of it. Then I got worried that instead of trying to take out the Village again with the wedding as a distraction, he'd come after you. But that wouldn't make much sense since he had an opportunity to take you down when you and everyone came to rescue me from him."

    "So that's what's on your mind then?" He asked her.

    They stood together for a moment. Shikamaru gave her a hug and held her close. He gave her great comfort. Well, he did until she fell asleep in his arms.

    "Heh, I think she's been hanging around me a bit too long," he said and carried her home.

    Shikaku asked him about what happened and why she had left like she did. He told him her concerns and as he was comforting her, she fell asleep. He brought her upstairs and placed her on the bed until she was ready to wake up again.

    The hours passed by until she finally woke. She stretched and yawned before going downstairs. Yoshino, Shikaku, and Shikamaru all stared at her oddly. Oblivious to them, she went into the kitchen, opened the fridge, and took out a snack. When she turned around she finally noticed them standing there.

    "Something wrong?" She asked, mouth full with food.

    Shikaku asked, "Um have you made a decision yet?"

    Almost choking on her food she replied, "I uh- well..."

    She turned away from them. Her face turned red. What was she going to do!? She wanted to tell them yes she accepted his proposal but she wanted it to be sweet and the only time romantic; just her and Shikamaru. Taking a deep breath, she turned to face them again.

    "I think I'd prefer to answer that in private with Shikamaru if you don't mind," she said in a small shy voice.

    She wasn't normally a shy type of person. Shikaku nodded and he and Yoshino left the house to give them some time alone. It was just her and Shikamaru now. She sat down on the couch.

    Shikamaru asked, "So you have an answer now?"

    She nodded, "Yes."

    He sat down on the edge of the table. She took his hands and looked him in the eyes.