Hold on to You.

I wrote this before the Spriggan 12 were made out to be a huge joke, lmao. But when NateWantsToBattle gets you inspired, you just gotta write. Enjoy the angst? I guess? Idk what to call this, but enjoy nonetheless.

-

"The south. Mermaid Heel is being stationed in the south."

Rogue blinked, his body slumping into the couch as he replayed her words over and over, almost as if he didn't understand what she was saying. But unfortunately he did, and he didn't like it at all. Part of him wished, prayed, hoped that she was joking. That Sabertooth and Mermaid Heel would be stationed in the same place, either north or south he didn't care, and that he would be by her side.

The south.

It seems as if fate had decided to figuratively shit on him early and put him through misery, and he wasn't even on the battlefield yet.

The dragon slayer's lips pressed into a thin line, staring blankly at the wall across from him as he tried to calm all the emotions running through his mind.

Rogue had been briefed —every guild in Fiore had been, about the new threat which was on the horizon. The Alvarez Empire was dead set on launching themselves into a full-blown war with Ishgar. With over a million soldiers at their dispense and an elite squad of skilled mage's this wasn't going to be easy. This could go on for weeks, months, maybe even years and knowing that he wasn't going to be able to see her...it left a dull throb in his chest.

Not being able to see her, to fight along side her, to protect her.

Sabertooth was being stationed up north along with Blue Pegasus. Sting told him that was done because they were the closest guilds to the north, and told Rogue that having Mermaid Heel being apart of their allied forces was highly unlikely. Deep down he didn't want to believe his best friend's words, but Rogue knew that his wish wouldn't be granted. And he was right, Mermaid Heel resided in Hargeon, near the port. The closest to them was Lamia Scale, hence why they were being sent to the south.

He was pissed, angry that Sting hadn't fought for position alongside Mermaid Heel. Yet he knew that if the young guild master had been given a choice, he would choose to fight alongside Mermaid Heel. Over the past year the two guilds had been working closely together, even with their long distance. Sting wanted to tighten bonds between each guild, and with Rogue announcing that he was courting Mermaid Heel's ace, opportunity arose. But Sting wasn't to blame, he was just following orders from the Magic Council.

Part of him was worried, scared that something would happen to Kagura and he wouldn't be there to prevent it. He knew that she was perfectly capable of protecting herself. She had reminded him so numerous times when they went on jobs together, but his instincts always kicked in, begging for him to keep her safe from any form of harm; physical, mental or emotional.

Of course, Kagura being Kagura and the ever so independent woman that she proudly is, would always reprimand him for being over-protective but she always thanked him. It had been strange for her, having someone who cared the way Rogue did. It was new for her. He gave her his all; the feeling of being wanted, of being the one person to lean on even though she was more than capable of standing alone, of connecting with someone intellectually, a level of understanding, a confidant.

And she gave him the exact same.

"Do you think Sting would let you join Sabertooth by tonight?" Rogue questioned, trying to come up with a plan to keep her close. Kagura rolled her eyes in jest as a smile tugged at corners of her lips. "I'm not joking."