Comp. 1: Snow - Once upon a dream

This is way too late but here 😂

Once upon a dream 👑 From Disney's "Sleeping Beauty"

I look down at the blank sheet of paper, the scent of chocolate and peppermint coming out of my steaming mug. The sun outside is setting, and it seems that my imagination is, too. I think back to the events, again, of last week, my smile turning to a frown.

The snowflakes twirl around us as we dance around and laugh together, his arms around my waist keeping me from falling. The path and the trees around form a sort of winter wonderland like in the movies and even though the sky is grey and my toes are freezing inside my cheap boots, it's like everything else from the world has been shut down to let us enjoy our moment together.

He brings his lips to mine, putting me back down and crushing me against him. I pull back, frowning, when I notice something's off about him. Maybe it's in the way he stands, or in the way he smiles, or the way he takes deep breaths when I cup his cheeks.

"Tobias, what did I do? What did I do wrong?" He shakes his head, lowering his gaze to the ground. "Let me look at you. Let me see your eyes." The dark colour usually calms me, but right now, I'm scared of what used to be one of my refuges when I felt like the world was against me.

His jaw tightens under my hand, another sign that he won't tell me anything. "Tobias, say something. You're worrying me." He looks away, gulping, then looks back at me.

"Promise you won't interrupt me."

"I promise," I whisper, and wait.

"I want to end everything." I pull and walk back a few steps, my eyes wide. "It's all my fault, but I can't live with the guilt that I did that to you. You don't deserve that, you deserve someone loyal that will think twice before doing things and -"

I walk away, not wanting to hear anything more. I've heard enough.

I curl up in a ball and let out the freaking tears again, hoping that it's the last time that I'm crying for him. The real last time.

Then, staring at the blank sheet, I begin to write the story. It feels good to release all my emotions on something other than my pillow or cry until I have no more water in my body. Even though it's an assignment, it's still better than anything.

Better than have to spend my day at work, where he comes every hour to "check up on me", as if I'm his responsibility.

❄The day after✒

As I wake up from this dream, all too real for my liking, I bury my head in my pillow and curl under the covers, shivering. "Get out, snowflakes." I wipe the tear marks off my face, taking in a long breath before standing up.

I hope he won't be here today. I'd really need that.

Groggily, I put on my scout uniform and brush my hair, trying to make myself look decent and not too miserable.

It's alright Tris. You've been through worse. Just...get over him. He was a jerk to you anyway.

Outside, the snowflakes twirl just like in my dream, but there's no sun. Hopefully, there will be none today.

❄At the volunteering centre✌

Goddamit.

I put up a nice smile, taking a bite from the blueberry muffin they gave us as a breakfast.

He's so...perfect, it's disgusting.

At least, Pam and Jess know how to find an excuse so he doesn't have the time to talk to me.

"Bea!" I turn around, my heart stopping when he stops, too close for our status yet not close enough for my liking. "What's up? I wanted to talk to you this morning, but -"

"Why did you do it?"

IT'S NOT THE TIME TRIS YOU'RE BUSY AND THIS JERK IS NOT WORTH YOUR SALIVA

"Why did I do what?" He's smiling. He's freaking smiling.

Maybe he really did want me to be in pain and watch him do great things. Maybe he does really hate me.

I tighten my jaw, looking straight into his dreamy blue eyes, the eyes that used to comfort me but now remind me of how I feel during a snowstorm. "You know what you did," I say through gritted teeth.

"I just wanted to know how you were -"

"WHY DID YOU DO IT?" I clamp a hand around my mouth when people turn around and walk into a deserted corner of the chapel, my hands set as fists.

"I thought - I really thought you were good for me. I never had to ask you if you really did because I knew. And all of a sudden, you were pretending that you loved me until you decided it was the good time, three months after you had done it. That means three months of lies, three months of faking everything and pretending it was alright to mess with me, three months of your selfish self trying to wipe away the mistake you had made while my eyes were closed. So I need an explanation as to why you did it." I managed that all out without crying, but saying it makes it too real.

He looks down, at the coloured glass of the windows, anything but me. "First, you should know that I'm ashamed of what I did. You know it's against my values, it just - everything went so fast, I was talking with Uriah when Sydney dragged me to dance, giving me a drink that looked suspicious but I took it anyway because I was thirsty - and then -" he takes in a breath an buries his head in his hands "you were right there, dancing with me, and I didn't think twice before kissing her because I thought it was you, and..." He shakes his head, removing his hands to look at me. "I'm the one to blame, because I could've easily said no and left, but -"

"You wanted her to see you as a bold guy who isn't afraid of taking risks," I finish, my voice monotone. "Of course."

"I'm so sorry Tris, and I know there's nothing I can do about that. I know I can't go back, but can we try again? Give ourselves a new chance? And if it happens once, I'm going to leave you alone, because sometimes - I feel like I'll never be good enough for you, and I understand why. But you don't know how hard it is to see you and not be able to talk to you and know nothing's going to be forgotten for a long time."

I purse my lips, looking away. Of course I want a second chance, of course I love him too much to actually let go, but will I let my feelings take over the thin layer of trust he left in me?

I look at him, taking a deep breath. "Don't make regret this, please." I stand on my tiptoes and kiss him, shutting my eyes.

"You won't," he whispers against my lips. And then I feel something - something, even though it was a week ago, that I haven't felt in what feels like years - his arms around my waist, the large palms of his hands pressing my lower back closer to him.

❄At the end of the day☀

As I walk outside of the building, the snowflakes that were twirling outside keep falling, and a shining sun blazes over us.

"Tris?"

"Hmm?" I bury my hands in pockets, looking at the road for my brother's car.

"Thank you. For forgiving me."

"Who said I forgave you?" I smirk, turning around to watch his face fall. But I can't stand watching him crumple. "I'm kidding Tobias. I love you so much." I stroke his cheek, the light stubble rubbing on my fingertips.

"What did you just say?"

"I, Beatrice Elizabeth Prior, have very deep sentimental feelings for you, Tobias Vincent Eaton. Good enough?" I giggle when he traps me in his arms, swaying us back and forth, back and forth.

"Well I, Tobias Vincent Eaton, have very deep sentimental feelings for you as well, Beatrice Elizabeth Prior."

And the snow keeps twirling and twirling like a ballerina, while my heart explodes in snowflakes as well.

1398